The Act

Marissa read over a text on her phone as she slumped a purse over her shoulder, reaching the door but was cut off when her mother came in. Noticing the horrid look on her mother's face, she knew that something had to be wrong. 

"Mom, what's up?" 

"Are you going to work, honey? This could wait if you want," Her mom said, looking down on the floor as if trying to hide something. 

Shaking her head, Marissa put her purse on the bed as she sat down. "No, my shift isn't until much later, I was going to the beach to cheer on Summer," She paused, "is everything okay, Mom?" She added. 

She must admit that this kind of behavior from her mom was rare, especially nowadays, ever since her mom married Summer's father, all she saw every time she came home from work was how happy her mom was. So she couldn't help but feel worried now. 

"Yeah, everything's fine, Marissa," Julie revealed. "I just want to tell one thing, though your step father is doing a good job at providing for us, which is a step forward than what we're used to.. I've decided to pursue higher education." 

It didn't take long for Marissa to reach her arms out for a hug, thrilled by the announcement but mostly excited that it wasn't actually something that included sleeping with her ex for once. "Mom, that's so great, I'm so happy for you," She said, pulling away from the embrace. 

"Wow, I thought you'd be mad..." Julie said. 

"Mad?" Marissa widened in bewilderment. "Of course not, I think taking a step further towards education is always a good idea no matter the age, even though that's not really for me right now." She muttered. 

"Well, usually I'd push you to not choosing that option, but you seem happier, honey," Julie pointed out. 

Marissa's cheeks reddened; it was true that taking in the minimum wage job though could be stressful at times, had put such a positive attitude on her lately that she wasn't ready to tell even her mom just yet about this coming to an end. 

"Yea well, I'm just trying to live my life," She looked away to hide her flushed cheeks. "Anyway, mom, I've got to go. Think everyone's waiting for me down at the beach, maybe tonight we can have a movie marathon, with Kaitlin as well?" 

As she saw her mom grinning and nodding as a response, she walked out of the room to stroll down the stairs, checking her phone to see that her friends already sent her a lot of messages asking where she was. She climbed onto the driver's seat as soon as she approached, starting the engine before driving away into the streets. 

Her phone started to ring again, she pulled it out of her purse, putting the device in her ear as she accepted the call. "Hello?" She greeted. 

"Hey, where are you?" The person on the other end said. 

"Oh hi, Ryan. I'm almost there, sorry got held back at home. My mom just had some news to share," Marissa replied. 

"Oh, is everything okay?" There was a hint of curiosity within the tone, having known the guy all too well taught her that. 

"Yeah yeah, nothing's wrong. I'll be there soon, though I'm about to pull up in the parking lot now. See you later?" She said, hanging up the phone right after he said goodbye. Turning on the steering wheel to find more an empty spot, lucky for her it was right next to her. 

She slammed the door shut as soon as the car was parked then went straight to the building across the street. Inside, there was a crowd of people already that she had to look around the place to find who she wanted to see. Another guy standing about ten feet away from her walked away and that's when she saw him, waving at her. 

Walking closer to him, she patted him on the shoulder. "I didn't know this many people who wanted to join this thing," She revealed. 

"Me either, but it's casting director from LA.. So what did you expect?" Ryan looked over at Marissa, putting his hands in his pocket. 

"Good point," Marissa nodded, her eyes gazed everywhere looking for Summer. As if her wishes were answered, a petite girl whom she had known for ages walked over to her, squealing. 

"You made it!" Summer shouted in Marissa's ears, suffocating the girl with the hug before pulling away. 

"Yeah, just got here actually," Marissa replied, flipping her hair back behind her ear. "So, did it start already-" 

Summer cut her off before Marissa could even finish the sentence which caused the girl to huff. "You're not going to believe who else was in the dressing room," She said. 

Marissa didn't need to wait for Summer's answer because what appeared in her peripheral vision before her was her very own offspring - perfectly dressed in the tightest outfit  and also added with glasses that she took off as soon she approached the group - Ryan was practically drooling over her that Marissa felt the need to punch him in the arm. 

Kaitlin Cooper is here. 

"Kaitlin," Marissa was the first to speak in spite of confused by the whole thing. "What are you doing here?" She questioned. 

"Oh, don't you know? I auditioned, thought it'd look good on my resume that I actually joined extracurriculars," Kaitlin paused to look over her nails before glancing up at her sister again. "besides, if I'm going to take over the school and Newport, this is what I'll have to do." She added. A smirk tugged at her lips. 

"I'm sorry, what?" Summer chipped in. "There's no way that you'd be able to outshine Marissa, or me!" She exclaimed. 

"But, I think I just did," Kaitlin fired back, shooting daggers right at Summer. 

Then, just what the situation needed, a superhero came in - late - to save the day, probably hanging upside down wearing their mask in the rain. Oh no,  that was just Seth Cohen. And now there he was.

"Hey guys, sorry I'm late, so what did I miss?" Seth said to the group as he approached, staring right into Kaitlin's then at everyone's, sensing the tense atmosphere right away. 

"Kaitlin," Seth faked a grin, enclosing himself on Kaitlin. "This can't be good." He mumbled underneath when he walked back to his place, but Marissa and Summer heard it loud and clear as they were close.

Both of them punched him on the ribs in unison.