The Distress

"Ryan! Come on, I thought you wanted to go jogging with me today," Summer said, peeking her head in through the door before barging in. Ryan was looking over something before turning around to face her. 

"Yeah, okay let me just change real quick." Ryan said, walking into the bathroom and got out only seconds after, already in loose tank that showed his muscles nicely. "Alright come on." He said, filling in his bottle with water then walked out of the door, trailing behind Summer who already had her headphones in her ears, running towards the beach. 

For the time that he spent at home, it had been a routine to go running with Summer every morning. Hell, if Seth and Marissa were here right now, they'd probably roll their eyes and mock him. Second thought, they probably were. But that's the least of his worries, as he ran down the sidewalk and caught the sound of waves crashing against the shore, he stopped in time for Summer to turn around. 

"Wow that's such a good run," Summer stated.

"Yeah it is." Ryan added, opening the cap of his water bottle and drank out of it. 

"So Ryan," Summer began. "how was college life treating you, are you having any trouble?" She asked. 

"Um, no?" 

"Relax, Ryan," Summer said. "Seth has filled me in all the details that you shared with him. Speaking from a girl who dropped out of college to pursue acting while taking acting courses, I know that it gets better. Well not for me anyway, but who knows."

"I really should've killed that man when I had the chance," Ryan muttered, looking over the ocean. "but seriously, everything's under control." He assured, turning to look at Summer. 

Summer pursed her lips, nodding. "Well okay if you say so then," She replied. "but just so you know, I'm here if you need to talk." She rested her hand on Ryan's shoulder, staring. 

Ryan nodded. "Come on, let's run again." 

"How great was the book for you?" Seth asked as he sat down on the stool before the counter, taking back the book after Marissa gave it to him as she walked away for a little bit to deliver order. 

Marissa appeared in Seth's vision again, she had just finished reading the book that she borrowed from Seth. It's what they'd been doing ever since they were the only two people during break. "It's really good; I didn't like the ending though." She said. 

"Are you kidding? It's like the best part," Seth argued. 

Brewing coffee on the machine as Marissa waited before it, she glanced over. "Can you believe Ryan and Summer chose to run in the early morning, like, who does that?" 

"Right," Seth said. "I tried to get to her head but she was just too strong-willed for me." 

Marissa chuckled, pouring coffee onto Seth's cup once it was finished. "Yeah I know what you mean," She said. "you know maybe we are the one who should try it some time. I mean, exercise is important. Right?"

"You? Exercise? I'm sorry Marissa, that's like the funniest joke I've ever heard from you."

A punch flew across Seth's shoulder, as Marissa walked away when they told her to pick something up in the back. He took a sip from his coffee, flipping through the book in front of him to skim it for a while. Then, he heard a loud thump coming from the kitchen alongside a shriek that was enough for him to hop out of the stool and barged in through the employees area. 

He saw Marissa sitting on the ground, wait, that was too nice a word, more like falling. He went over to her right away and bent over to help her get up. As she adjusted herself and held on to the table, he said. "Are you okay?" 

Marissa glanced at him, fear was in her eyes. "I don't think I am. Can you take me to the ER?" She pleaded. 

"Wait, wait, wait what? Yeah sure, come on," Seth reached his arms out to wrap around Marissa's neck, guiding her through the door. He pushed the door open and got her to the passenger's side of the car as he jumped in the driver's seat. He buckled himself and started the engine, looking over at Marissa. 

"You're doing okay there?" Seth asked. 

"Yeah, I just, don't know what's going on," Marissa replied. 

"You know you're probably not supposed to carry heavy weight while pregnant." Seth stated, pulling out of the parking lot as he hit the gas. 

"Thanks Seth, that helps  a lot," Marissa huffed, rolling her eyes as she looked over the window trying to shift her focus somewhere else. She had been feeling weird that day, like she knew something was going to be wrong but she didn't know what. Usually, she'd feel something kicking like in the morning once or twice, but there was none today. And the thought just raised her worry even more that she refused to dwell over it. 

"Wait Ryan," Summer stopped to take a breath when her phone buzzed and her music paused. Ryan turned, looking over with his brows furrowed. 

"What? If this is about school, I know okay, I can't give up on it because Sandy has done so much for me to go," Ryan said. 

Summer ignored it and unlocked her phone as she looked over the message that she got from Seth. Covering her gaping mouth with her hand, as she looked up at Ryan with a wary look on her face. "Oh my God, Marissa's in the hospital."