The Rebranding

Marissa surveyed over the flyer that she got a while back during the boat trip that lasted less than a month. During that time, she got to meet a bunch of interesting people that offered her something she couldn't resist, and she had been contemplating the idea ever since. 

"Coop, you ready to go?" Summer knocked on the door, making Marissa turn around and put the flyer back on the drawer. That's right; they were going to the mall to do some shopping today, well correction, Summer practically begged to her knees while doing their usual The Valley Quiz the other night. 

"Yeah, come on," Marissa stood up and slumped a purse on her shoulder, walking out of the room with Summer already ahead of her, strolling down the stairs. They approached the car and Summer called shotgun on being the one to drive, Marissa rolled her eyes not even letting her best friend know that driving was the last thing that she wanted to do at the moment. 

The ride to the mall was eerily quiet; Summer turned on the radio and hummed along to the song playing, urging Marissa as well. They arrived at the destination shortly after and parking was as smooth as the drive. Entering the mall, Summer dragged Marissa to a clothing store, explaining along the way that she needed a new wardrobe to keep up with the actor image that she was supposedly going to have. 

Well, Marissa wasn't going to say no to that. 

"Doesn't this look cute on me?" Summer asked, posing in front of a full-length mirror where people were walking by throwing weird glances at her. 

It was a strapless, short orange dress that had feathers as motive. Marissa looked over the dress and nodded in amusement. "It looks really good, why don't you try it on?" She suggested. 

"Okay, give me a sec," Summer replied, walking away from Marissa, into the fitting room. Marissa waited in the same spot and took in her surroundings. She was still thinking about the flyer but decided to put that off for a while and looked for some cute clothes. It's a good thing that she saved every money that she earned from the job, not that she really needed it considering Julie got plenty of cash from the marriage, but learning from the past living on a trailer park, she had to save up just in case. 

Summer appeared in Marissa's vision again, wearing the dress that fit her perfectly. Like a glove. "Sum, you look so great," Marissa commented, standing behind her, facing the mirror. 

"I think there's something wrong, though," Summer looked down, frowning. "Do you think I should dye my hair?" She asked. 

It almost made Marissa choke on something, but considering she didn't have a drink with her, she just widened her eyes. "What are you talking about, Summer? Your hair looks perfect," She said. Shocked would be an understatement especially when she saw a new layer of her best friend that she had never seen before. Summer was confident without even trying, something that she used to be jealous of. 

"True, I don't know, I just think that something isn't right," Summer insisted, then turned around to look at Marissa, but she barely stared into her friend's eyes. "Come on, let's find something else, my closet needs a lot of rebranding." 

The two spent hours at the mall, throwing and putting back clothes in and out of the cart that they carried around. They only stopped not because their legs were tired from all the working, but their stomachs grumbled in unison, they looked at each other and laughed. 

"So, you've been checking your phone quite a lot today, what's up with that?" Marissa asked, taking a bite off of the burger that she ordered. They were now in the middle of a food court, as per Marissa's choice since she won over Summer when they both flipped a coin to decide whether to eat at a food court or Chipotle. Their shopping bags rested neatly on the floor surrounding the table, kind of blocking everyone out of the way that they received a lot of glares every time someone walked by.