Part 55

Dorian's POV

I sit, bound and drugged in a chair, for what must have been hours. Whatever drug Manon gave me must've been strong, as I can't even access my powers. And, of all people, my brother is the one to find me.

He doesn't even knock, just walks into the room. Stops. Smirks. "You pissed someone off."

"Hollin," I say, relieved and annoyed at the same time. "Get these off me."

He shuts the door. "For what?"

"What?!" I look at him incredulously.

"You didn't think I'd do this for free would you?" he asked.

"You will do it when I tell you because I am your king and I order you to!" I say, straining at the ropes.

He looks at me, glaring. "Why don't you just use your precious magic?"

"Now!"

He slouches over sullenly, coming behind and working on the knots. "You're the one tied up," he mutters.

The ropes fall off a few moments later, and I stand. "You could at least say thank you," Hollin sulks.

"Thank you," I tell him. "Was there any reason you came up here?" He crosses him arms and looks away. "Then get out."

He leaves quickly, not shutting the door behind him. I sigh and pull it closed, then look at the time and swear. I have a council meeting now, but I can't be bothered to go right now. Instead, I get changed methodically, not caring what I wear, thinking over what Manon has done to me. I'm obviously just another pawn in her game. 

I finish changing, and make my way angrily to the council room, banging open the door loudly. Last night's events have finished sinking in, and if I thought I was cross earlier, I was wrong.

I'm angrier at Manon than I have ever been.

"Ah, Your Majesty," one of my least favourite lords says. He's left over from my father's time, and thinks that gives him some sort of rights or privileges over all the people I've picked. I hate him. Maybe I'll have him executed. The lord glances past me. "I had hoped your Queen of the Witches would be showing up to this meeting."

"The alliance is off," I snap, and murmuring erupts throughout the room. "Silence!" I yell, and no one says a thing.

"Your Majesty?" Chaol says carefully. "May I ask why?"

"No." I say to the room. "The alliance is off. The so-called Queen of the Witches has run off in the night carrying this Kingdom's heirs. She might start a war, so stay alert, but take no action until I order it." I turn to a servant. "Go to the witch tower and tell everyone to leave. Tell them the alliance is off and any resistance will be met with guards. If they ask why tell them the alliance is off." I know I am acting rashly and repeating myself unnecessarily, but I don't care. I ask another servant, "Get the fastest messenger to ride to Queen Aelin  and tell her I have urgent news and I need her to meet me here as soon as she can, but make sure not to elaborate further than that. Meeting over."

I storm out of the room as dramatically and quickly as I came in.

***********

Chaol follows me out of the meeting, all the way up to my tower, hurrying to keep up with me. "Dorian!" he says, stopping me just past the boundary to my quarters. 

I spin around. "What?"

"What's the matter with you? What happened with you and Manon - and what was that all about?!"

I want to yell, I almost do, but - 

I sigh, deflating, and make my way much slower to the very top of the tower and the exposed top, letting the wind blow my hair into my face. Chaol comes to stand beside me.

"Manon... left," I say finally. "She drugged me and just.. left. And I don't - I don't know what she's gonna do. What I'm supposed to do. I'm pretty sure that's an act of war, but... and - doesn't she realise," I say, pacing the small circle at the top of the tower, "That these are my children too. My children, Chaol. How can she just..?"

I trail off, and Chaol hugs me quickly, pulling away after a second.

"I thought," I admit. "That she loved me. She said that she loved me. And I... I loved her too."

Chaol is silent, debating what to say. "Dorian, I am so sorry," he says eventually, pausing, the asked. "Is she going to start a war?"

I run my hand through my hair, not that it does anything - the wind snatches it back a second later. "I doubt it, but... I might."

Chaol jolts. "Dorian, you can't be serious! We only just finished a war - the money, the men we'd need to launch a full scale attack - let alone what Aelin would do if she found out -"

"Calm down," I say. "I'm not serious. Although.."

"Dorian!" he looks panicked.

I elbow him friendlily. "I was joking."

"Well, it's not funny," he mutters.

"I'm serious about the alliance, though," I say, turning back to look out over my kingdom. "I was a fool to keep on chasing after her. She clearly doesn't want this, and it seems I've pushed her too far. Or the other way around. If she wants my forgiveness, or this fated alliance, she has to come and get it herself. I love her, and I love our future children, but I'm tired of this game of cat and mouse."

Chaol nods. "What about that letter to Aelin, though? If you're not launching a full scale attack, do we really need her here?"

I consider. "Yes."

"Why?"

"Because." I pause. "Maybe I just want my friends around me again."

I turn to my best friend and most trusted advisor. "Thank you, Chaol. I am very lucky to have you."

*************

Aelin's POV

"And one more thing," I say, addressing my court. I'm stood out of my throne, addressing them, while everyone else is sitting. It gives me the power. "I-"

I'm interrupted as someone knocks loudly on the door to the council chamber.

"Enter," I call. 

"Your Majesty." A servant appears, bowing low before approaching me. "I have an important message from King Dorian of Adarlan."

 Frowning, I take it, my eyes scanning over the short and cryptic note. 

"What does it say?" Rowan asks quietly behind me. I fold it up before he can see, and turn to the servant. "Prepare my horse. I will be leaving for Adarlan at once."

-------------------

HI peoples,

Happy new year, stay safe and hope you enjoy.