Part 41

A few minutes later, I'm making my way through the bustling camp, heading toward the fire where I know Glennis will be sitting. She stands as I approach. "Manon," she says, and I think she's smiling. "How are you?"

I don't reply, sitting down heavily. Glennis sits beside me. "How long has this been going on?" I ask. She frowns in confusion.

"Has what been going on?"

"This Crochan uprising shit."

"Ah." Glennis frowns. "I was unaware until recently that some witches objected so harshly to your rule, but it can't have been going on for more than a couple of weeks. I assure you that, after what you said yesterday, not many support such extreme views."

I frown. I wish people would stop telling me it was nothing to worry about, when it clearly is, but I don't say this. "Thank you," I say instead, staring into the fire pit, where a fire burns even though it's day. "How is construction of the Witch-City?"

"Not good," comes a voice from behind me. I turn, and see Bronwen. She nods to me, sitting down opposite us. "My Queen. A few days ago, a section of the city collapsed while we were working. It's a significant setback. No one's been there since."

I frown. "Any dead?"

"No, but a few of us were injured," Bronwen replies. I nod, pausing a second, considering something.

I say, quietly enough that no one will overhear, "I need you to do something. Find all the Crochans who object to my ruling and bring them to me. This needs to stop before it becomes a serious problem."

Bronwen looks uneasy. "You're not going to kill them?"

"No, of course not," I say, but leave it at that. 

She continues to look uneasy, before eventually saying, "It's not just the Crochans that don't like this."

"I know," I reply. "If you're uncomfortable with this, I can ask someone else."

"No! No, I'll do it." She stands.

"One more thing," I say. "Get construction going again. And find Petrah."

Bronwen nods and leaves, and I sit silently for a second, contemplating  what to do next. I'm surprised Glennis didn't interject in that conversation; I know she was listening. My hands on resting absently on my stomach, we wait in silence for Petrah to arrive.

"I'm not your servant, to be called as you please," Petrah says as she appears. 

"Find all the Ironteeth who don't like me ruling and tell them if they don't deal with it, I'll kill them," I say, ignoring what she said. "And then tell them if they harm a Crochan, I'll rip out their iron teeth, and if they kill a Crochan, I'll kill them."

Petrah raises her eyebrows but nods and leaves. Beside me, Glennis clears her throat. "Is threatening violence the best way to deal with this?"

"They're not threats," I reply, "They're promises."

"I see," Glennis says. She opens her mouth to say something else, but my stomach clenches, and I wince, holding it. "Are you alright?" Glennis asks, immediately worried.

"I'm fine," I say, standing. "If there's any trouble, I'll be in my tent."