Part 35

Dorian's POV

"Seriously?! I came all this way for nothing?!"

"Not nothing," Aelin says. "You get to see me - which of course, will always be the highlight of your trip."

"Not now, Aelin," I snap, scowling.

"Sorry," she says. Then she smirks. "If it's any consolation, Manon literally jumped out of a window to get to you."

"Wha- you know what, I'm not even gonna ask." I sigh. "Why wouldn't  you jump out of a window when you're carrying a baby?"

"Calm down," Aelin says, stepping up to me. "Just come get some food or something. I'm sure there's enough to spare."

"No," I object, pulling my hand over my face. I'm  exhausted. "I need to find Manon."

"No, you don't," Aelin says, grabbing me by the wrist and pulling me through the gates. I'm too tired to stop her. Elide hurries ahead, probably to warn the servants or someone that I'm here. Aelin continues, "If you travel like this, you'll fall off your horse, and then you brother will have to rule Adarlan. He's like, three. You need to eat and rest. Go be Manon's knight in shining armour when your not going to fall off your horse and be trampled to death."

Aelin begins to lead me down a corridor, then stops short. I shake my wrist out of her iron grip. "I can walk on my own, y'know."

She lets go of my arm, shrugging, and starts following Elide, who has just reappeared. "How's Chaol?" Aelin asks. "Has the baby been born yet?"

I smile, thinking of my best friend and his very pregnant wife. "No," I say, "But the baby's due any day now."

"You have to tell me as soon as it's born," Aelin insists. "Do you know what gender it is?"

"No," I reply. We stop in front of a nondescript wooden door, and Elide pushes it open.

"Here," she says. "I'm sorry, we didn't know you were, so the room has only just been made up. The servants are running a bath, or you can eat with us if you prefer."

"Thank you for the invite," I say, "But I'll retire now." Aelin rolls her eyes. "What?"

"You're just so... polite," she says. I laugh, then shut the door behind me. I'll go and find Manon tomorrow, and try to persuade her not to be mad at me.