Part 48

Dorian's POV

Manon falls asleep instantly, but I stay awake for a while, so long that I eventually sit up and turn on the light beside my bed. I can't stop thinking about how exhausted Manon looked tonight. She doesn't seem to have been having a bad time with the pregnancy, but I've been preoccupied thinking about my dumb court and their obnoxious opinions. They're all fools.

I turn the light beside my bed up low, careful not to disturb the sleeping witch next to me. Maybe its just the travelling that's got her so tired. But that wouldn't explain this morning, when her wyvern looked at me so accusingly, like there was something else I should've been seeing. I sigh quietly. Maybe I'm  just tired, and my mind is playing tricks on me. 

I pick up my book from beside my bed, squinting at the lines of text in the dim light. It's too dark for reading, but I can't turn the light up farther for fear of waking Manon. I put the book down and switch off the light completely, my arms around Manon.

As I fall asleep, I still can't shake the feeling that there's something I should have noticed.

                                                                               **********************                                                                         

When I'm kicked awake by Manon, it's still dark. I can't see a thing as Manon rolls over to the side of the bed and vomits all over the carpet.

I swear, immediately awake, sitting up and turning on the light beside my bed. Manon is still leaning over the bed, and I gently hold her hair back from her face in case she's sick again. A moment later, she stumbles up and I follow her into the bathroom, where she throws up again. I'm terrified. Why is she suddenly so ill? Is this what I should have noticed?

I kneel next to her, again gathering up her soft white hair and bringing it back from her face. "Guards," I call, and they immediately look into the room.

"Your ma-"

"Find Lady Yrene," I say, trying to keep my voice calm as I cut them off. When they hesitate, I snap, "Now!"

One of the guards immediately leaves, the other three leaving the door open as they hover outside, but I don't permit them entry.

My attention is drawn back to Manon as she starts violently shaking. I try to comfort her, stroking her hair while I internally kick myself for not thinking she would get morning sickness. Not that it's morning. I'm not stupid, I know that some people experience nausea when pregnant. I just didn't think...

When Manon leans back onto me, I realise she's crying. Not quiet, despairing crying like she did when the Thirteen died, not crying like I've ever seen her do before. She's full on sobbing. It scares me.

"Manon, what's the matter?" I say, trying to keep the fear out of my voice.

She doesn't reply for a few seconds. Then she says softly, "I don't want to lose the baby."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI peoples 

i am an extremely cruel human being and left it like this deliberately. I do, in fact have the next few chapters planned. this is also the reason it's short

I know I said it would take a while for me to update, but @DaniGoncalves55 commented that all the books they were reading kept on not updating and I was like why not.

stay safe :)