Part 57

Still Aelin's POV

The first night I spend at Adarlan, we don't do much. I stay in private chambers, and no announcements are made about my arrival. The only people who know I'm here are Dorian, Chaol, and the private guards that took me up.

Dorian and I briefly talk over official stuff, but move off that topic as quickly as we can. As my visit here is not official, I don't see why we should treat it as such. I ask nothing of Manon, and he doesn't say a thing about her wither. Then, true to our inner selves, we - including Chaol - sit around a fire and read, ignoring all the stuff we always have to do.

The next morning, I wake up early but refreshed. It was nice to spend a night relaxing and doing nothing, something I certainly wouldn't have been able to do at home.

I crawl out from under the warm covers, shivering in the chill air, and pull on the most comfortable looking thing I can see. For once, I don't bother with jewellery or makeup. Since I'm not officially here, I don't see why I should dress like it. 

I poke my head around the door, and the guards immediately come to attention. I'm surprised to find that my own guards from Terrasen were allowed up here, though I doubt they would have trusted anyone else to, allied kingdom or not. I'm glad to see familiar faces rather than Adarlan's guard, anyway. "Your Majesty," they bow. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes, all's good," I say. "I'm going to visit Dor - King Dorian." Though I don't hide that we're friends, I have to keep up appearances. 

"Of course," they say, and fall in behind me as I make my way up through the castle. I know most of the quieter passages from my time here, so we take a longer route to his rooms. 

I'm not surprised to find Dorian already awake, and despite being allowed all the way up here, Dorian barred my guards from entering any further into his private chambers. Fair enough. I follow him into his study, where Chaol is waiting. "Cake?" he asks, offering me a piece.

"Always," I smirk, taking it from him. I frown, and turn to Dorian. "Aren't you supposed to be doing official King of Adarlan stuff?"

"Aren't you supposed to be doing official Queen of Terrasen stuff?" he counters, grinning.

I straighten," I will have you know, I say mock-seriously, trying not to smile. "That I abandoned my many things to do, and rushed down here, blowing them all off, to come and see you, your highness."

His face goes serious. "Thank you for that."

I smile, waving a hand. "No problem. So what're we actually doing today?" The two men glance at each other. "What?" I say, putting on my most ridiculously posh voice, acting offended. "You can't tell me you dragged the Queen of Terrasen away from her mountain stronghold all the way down here and don't have her itinerary planned?" I pick my nails, looking down my noise. "How rude."

"Well, your Magnanimous Holiness," Chaol says, bowing stupidly low and grinning. "I assure you, we can find something to occupy your precious time." He offers me his elbow, and I take it. He leads me towards the door, before turning back to Dorian. "Coming, peasent?" There's a beat of silence, then I burst out laughing. After another moment of looking completely shocked, Dorian does the same. 

"Why, Chaol," he says, coming to stand nest to me and offering his elbow to my other free hand. "I never knew you had it in you."

We all laugh again, and make our way through Adarlan's castle.

**************************

Dorian's POV

I take Aelin on a tour of my castle, avoiding all the places I know will bring up bad memories. While the castle itself hasn't changed much since Aelin was last here, the atmosphere is so different from last time and I'm glad I can show her how great this place can actually be.