Prologue

Amber's POV

It was my first Christmas with Nathan. We were at Max's parent's Christmas party. Everyone was having fun and getting wasted. Unfortunately, Nath was just having too much fun. To cool things down a bit, everyone began slow dancing. I was hoping to dance with Nath and possibly kiss him underneath the mistletoe without anyone looking. It would've been more romantic if his breath didn't smell like a concoction of Rhum and eggnog.

I began to search for Nath, but he was nowhere to be found, so I decided to look upstairs. I figured from all the drinking he probably passed out in one of the rooms. As I looked into each of the rooms I began to worry. Nath wasn't in any of them. Finally, I reached the last room -Max's parent's bedroom- hoping he'd be there. He was there, but not alone.

I found him on top of my cousin Meridith; both were nude. They didn't even notice that I'd opened the door. They laid there pressed against each other making out. I couldn't bear the sight.

Finally, Nath's red-shot droopy eyes caught mine. He jumped off of Meridith and covered himself with the sheets. Tears trickled down my eyes and everything became a blur. Meridith sat up and covered herself as well. She couldn't even look up at me. I thought to myself "Why am I still standing here?". I slammed the door shut and ran into the nearest bathroom. I closed the door, sat on the floor, and laid my head onto the toilet seat cover as I wept.

I heard the door crack open. For some reason I was hoping it would be Nath. The person stepped inside closing the door behind them. "Amber" they said softly. I lifted my head and turned it slowly towards them. It was Jay and he had so much sorrow in his eyes. He said "I saw what you've just currently witnessed. I was looking for the both of you, because Max's mum is going to start handing out the deserts".

I looked down to the floor trying to hold my tears back. I shut my eyes tightly. Jay got down and sat beside me. He turned me towards him, laid my head on his chest and hugged me. "All I wanted to do was kiss him underneath the mistletoe, but no. He just had to get drunk and tumble under Max's parent's sheets with my cousin" I said.

Jay stretched his arm out reaching for the tissue box on the counter top. He grabbed a tissue, handed it to me, and stood me up. "Wipe your tears" he demanded. I did as he said and then followed him downstairs. Everyone was gathered around the kitchen and dining room.

He brought me under the arch that had the mistletoe on top which lead to the front door. He put my hands in his and gracefully kissed me on the cheek. "I know it's not what you had in mind, but I didn't want to see your pretty little face drowning in tears" he said in a whisper. I smiled a bit and replied with a soft thank you.

"I don't mean to bother and take you away from these festivities, but would you be able to drop me home?" I asked. He nodded saying "It's really the least I can do, so I wouldn't mind it at all". After he dropped me off at my flat, I immediately ran into my bedroom, dropped myself onto my bed, and continued to weep.

Nathan's POV

I was devastated. I couldn't believe what I'd just done, especially since I did it with Amber's cousin. My head was pounding, I had to get out of that room, out of that house. I quickly got up and put on my clothes, which was a real challenge. "So that's it? She catches us, then we sit here for 30 minutes, and then you decide to get up and leave" Meridith said. I sighed heavily from the stress of trying to buckle my belt and the thought of all that just happened. "I don't know what to tell you. I'm completely drunk and I just did the worst thing I could ever do with the love of my life's cousin" I replied.

"Well, you can't blame me."

"You're perfectly sober! You seduced me and brought me to this room. I was barely able to walk.":

"Well, you sure as hell didn't have a problem pounding on me."

"That's not the point."

"Then what is? Whether you were drunk or not, I'm pretty sure we would've ended up in this exact position. So, if I go down -which is certain- you're coming down with me. We're both guilty."

"Ok then, so why am I still standing here? It's all settled. We know what's to come of all this."

"But what's to come of us? I know how deeply you feel for Amber, so why would you put your relationship in such turmoil? Maybe it's because you have-"

"Ok, stop right there. Everyone knows you're a hoe, so who could possibly fall for you? I'm wasted, you seduced me, so we ended up having... we ended up.... ugh! You know."

Meridith put her head down staring at the sheets. "Well, that's just great, because I have feelings for you" she said. I stared at the door, looked at her, and then again at the door. My head began pounding even harder, so I held it in my hands. I said sorry and walked out. I'm unable to remember a thing after that.