Chapter 14: Same Old Mistakes

Because of my new music discovery (Tyler James from the UK) I've become obsessed with his music n decided to put one of his songs as the soundtrack to this chapter. I was listening to it while typing this up and it just went with Nathan's thoughts so well. So yep, play it while reading the chapter or wuteves. It's one of his old songs called Why Do I Do  :)

Nathan's POV

I hugged Amber tightly. I could smell her wonderfully conditioned soft hair. It smelled sweet and just simply delightful. It made me think of how I use to wake up to the scent of her hair in the morning. Her head would lie on my chest. When her hair would scatter everywhere it always ended up under my nose. I miss that, I miss her, I miss us.

I let Amber go and invited her in. We sat across from each other in the sofas. "So, your aunts funeral is tomorrow. I know it's weird to bring it up but-" I said and then she cut me off. "I can manage. Meredith and I will act mature about it all. I can't exactly speak on her behalf, because she's reckless, but a girl can hope." I fidgeted with my thumbs and fought to speak.

"So, you're ok? Happy perhaps?" I asked.

"Yeah, I guess I am."

I took a gulp of my saliva pretending to swallow a baby barf. The thought of her and Jay living under the same roof, sleeping in the same bed, and Amber waking up on his chest instead of mine disgusted me. I don't think I can follow through with this. Sure it's temporary, but they're relationship isn't. It's what's best for her, so I

"Dr.Brookes says I'm out of my depression" she said interrupting my thoughts.

"That's, that's great! Pretty quick too. She wasn't lying when she called herself a miracle worker."

"Are you kidding me. She actually calls herself that?"

"Yep" I said with a giggle. "What now?"

"She wants to make sure I know the 'truth' " she said while making air quotes.

"About what?"

"My feelings, I suppose."

"You mind if I.... never mind."

"You can tell me or ask me whatever you please."

"It's nothing. Don't worry about it. Thanks for informing in person about all of this though."

"Any day" she replied with a grin.

It grew quiet again and we just sat there awkwardly. We wouldn't dare to look each other's way. "You should come to the funeral with me" Amber suggested. I looked at her trying to figure out why she'd invite me. "Why would you want that?" I asked in response.

"Because I think you and Meridith should talk things through. You've slept with her two times and just left her in the dust."

"First time I was drunk and the second time she forced me."

"Don't try sugar coating it and you know how she feels for you."

"What are you talking about?"

"I've finally noticed why she would hurt me like this and it's because she wants to be with you."

"Like Jay?"

"Please don't go there. I thought we were passed all of this. You should just talk to her and tell her that you don't feel the same way."

I chuckled. "Are you kidding me? I've already done that. It's not my fault she doesn't get the picture. You should've done the same, but instead you left me."

"Difference is I love Jay! Never mind about what I said. I thought you were over it, but I guess you were just faking it. I'm gonna go now." She got up and walked towards the door.

I followed her. "No don't. I'm sorry for getting upset and saying ridiculous things."

"But you're right. Jay and I are really no different from the two of you, but at least we talked about it and worked it all out."

"You actually expect for everything to be ok with Meridith and I? I know she's your cousin, but I feel like I know her better than you do."

"I'm not asking you to get along with Meridith. I am asking you to talk with her and settle this once and for all."

"If you can't even do that yourself, why should I?"

She looked at me with so much a disappointment and disgust and said "Goodbye Nath. It was obviously a mistake coming here." She turned away and walked out.

I cupped my hands and placed my head in them. Why am I such a bloody idiot? I do this every single time. Why do I have to be the one to screw everything up over and over again?

You've guessed it; to be continued in the next chapter:3