Chapter 11: The Truth Perhaps?

Nathan's POV

I woke up and saw Amber was asleep. The telly was still on, so I turned it off. I got up and folded my blanket. My eyes were burning from the sun's rays. I placed the blanket neatly onto the chair and kissed Amber on the forehead. I walked out and closed the door silently.

Amber's POV

I woke up and found a strange lady staring at me. I sat up quickly from being startled. "Hello." she said with a polite smile. I looked her up and down and then raised and eyebrow in question.

"Sorry to startle you. I'm Dr.Brookes. I own a Private Practice two towns away from here. It's called Dr.Brookes' Private Practice."

"Well, that's original. I'm guessing you're my shrink?"

"I prefer the term psychologist."

"So that's a yes."

"I've got a few questions to ask. I hope you don't mind."

"No, not at all. Knock yourself out."

"You don't have to explain anything, I was given the whole story. I know about your parents, your aunt and cousin, the love triangle, the Christmas party, and basically everything from your past and present. Out of all you've been through it really is no surprise that you attempted to commit suicide.."

"Way to state the obvious" I said while giggling.

She remained silent and gave me a questioning look."Do you love Nathan?"

"Not anymore really. I mean I love him, I'm just not in love with him."

"Are you sure, or are you just saying that because Jay convinced you to believe that?"

"I'm saying that because it's true."

"How do you know if it's true or not?"

"Because when you know, you know. You can feel it in your bones."

"Do you love Jay?"

"Yeah."

"Are you in love with him?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"Because he's perfect."

"Define perfect."

"Well, for starters he's the only person I can trust. I can never go a day without talking to him. Every time I see him I light up like the fifth of November. I love being around him. He's all I ever wanted."

"What about Nathan?"

I sighed. "He's amazing, don't get me wrong, but he's just not the one for me."

"Says who? Jay or you?"

"Me of course."

"What if he is the one for you?"

"If he were, we'd still be together."

"You can't be too sure about that. People make mistakes you know. Maybe Nathan is the one you really want to be with. You're just having a hard time recuperating."

"OK, now you're the one who seems crazy."

"Don't avoid the topic."

"I'm not."

"Then why are you still avoiding it?"

"Because you're making me."

"I never told you to."

"But you, you keep, ugh!"

"Frustrated are we? Maybe it's because you're realizing there may be some truth to what I said."

"I don't like you very much."

"Well that's not good. We're supposed to have a healthy relationship."

"Well, we're nothing close to having one."

"Maybe I'm coming on a bit to strong."

"Ya think."

"So, I am. If so that means I've hit a nerve in your heart. There may be something in there still yearning for Nathan's love and affection."

"What don't you get?"

" A lot. I feel that Jay's been forcing you to love him."

"As a psychologist your not supposed to give your input to your client or patient."

"I guess that makes me different."

"I guess that makes you stupid and bad at your job."

"And here you are again avoiding yet another touchy topic."

"I'm not avoiding it."

You still are."

"Oh my lord! Would you just stop. You're not doing your job your just harassing me."

"Harassing you with the truth perhaps?"

"What?"

She got up and walked to the door. She turned on her heels and said "Good day. I'll leave you to think about this whole conversation". She walked out. I was aggravated. What was all the nonsense she was talking about? I wasn't avoiding anything. I love Jay, right? Of course I do; it's no question.