Chapter 17: I'm Ready

Again with my new obsession, I've put Worry About You by Tyler James <3 as the soundtrack to this chapter. Play it when Amber tells her mom she's leaving:)

Amber's POV

This morning was a tad awkward. Correction, it was extremely awkward. Jay and I hadn't spoken a word to one another. I got ready and put on my black dress and pumps. Before I walked out of the flat, Jay grabbed me by my arm and hugged me. We then separated and he asked "Are you sure you don't want me to come and keep you comfort?"

"Yeah I'm sure. I'll have my mom."

"You're definitely positive?"

I giggled and responded saying "Yeah, I am. I don't need everyone questioning why my ex-boyfriend's band mate tagged along with me. I don't think my family even knows that Nath and I broke up yet, but my mother and her big mouth probably told every single one of our relatives."

Jay laughed. "That's Elanore for ya. Bye babe. Hope everything goes well."

I responded with a bye and a fake smile and walked out. It's good that he's set the whole incident from yesterday aside. On the other hand, I cannot. I've got to face Meredith and who knows what will happen. I wonder how  in the world she got Jay's number and why she went to go visit Nath, if that's what she was doing. For some reason I feel like a lot of words won't be spoken, just punches being swung repeatedly; by me of course.

I arrived at the church and spotted my mum sitting in the front row beside Meridith. I quickly made my way to my mum and sat beside her. I kissed her cheek and gave a her a little hug. She smiled and held my hand tightly. The Mass began and felt like what was hours.

The priest announced for us to say our fair wells to Aunt Hellen as she laid lifeless in her coffin. My uncle -Aunt Hellen's husband- Jack escorted my mum, his whore of a child, and I to the coffin. Meridith and my mum walked over to it and burst into tears. I stood behind them terrified of seeing her body knowing there was no longer a warm, strong, and gentle soul within it.

Uncle Jack tapped me on the shoulder and nudged his head toward the coffin with sorry eyes. I'm not sure why when he couldn't even bring himself to look at Aunt Hellen. I did as he wanted and built up the courage to walkover to the casket. I walked slowly while trembling. I couldn't stop.

I grabbed my mum's hand hoping she'd be my support if I felt faint after seeing Aunt Hellen's corpse. I looked over into the casket and my heart stopped. I felt a knot build in my chest and tried hard to breath. I then grabbed onto my mother's entire arm and rested my head on her shoulder with my eyes shut trying to keep in the tears. Finally, I gasped for air.

I let go of her and looked into the casket once again. I placed my index and middle finger on my lips and kissed them. I then planted the two fingers onto her forehead and walked away with my arms wrapped around my mum. Thankfully I was strong enough not to cry.

We were all at the burial grounds circled around Aunt Hellen's coffin before it was placed in the ground. We were all silent, eyes closed, and praying in our hearts. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to my right. It was Nathan. I was completely shocked. I didn't expect him to come after what happened yesterday. In fact, it wasn't even a good idea for him to come anymore.

"What are you doing here?" I said in a loud angry whisper.

"Calm down. I'm here because you asked me to be. I'm gonna talk to Meridith. Anyway, what kind of boyfriend would I be if I didn't attend a funeral with my beloved girlfriend" he replied also whispering.

"What are you talking about?"

"When I came all of your relatives were greeting me. They were saying 'Oh you're here! I was wondering why Amber's boyfriend didn't come' " he imitated them in a girly voice.