XI. Escape

"Have you seen Bilbo at all?" Athena asked in a quiet tone to Kili as an array of torture contraptions were sent to the Goblin King while he danced and sung about what he planned to do with the company.

"No," he replied back, only now realising that they were missing their burglar and had been for a while.

Her eyes searched the crowd, trying to find a spot of curled ginger hair amongst the sea of Dwarves while they were shoved to and fro by the Goblins around them. Her head snapped over to the front once hearing metal clanging to the ground, the merriment ceasing as the Goblin King retreated to his throne in fear, not caring about the Goblins that he trampled on on his way back.

"I know that sword! It is the Goblin-Cleaver, the Biter, the blade that sliced a thousand necks!" As the king yelled about the blade that Thorin had wielded the Goblins began to whip the members in the company, each lash burning her arms and back whilst the Goblins mercilessly threw the beatings their way, refusing to make a sound as she didn't want to give them the satisfaction. She took no comfort in the fact that she was not alone in the beatings.

"Slash them! Beat them! Kill them! Kill them all! Cut off his head!"

The Goblins flung themselves at the group they had captured, Athena being thrown harshly to the wooden planks while three of the creatures tried to hold her down, one letting out a shriek in front of her face. "At least buy me dinner first," she muttered before headbutting the Goblin, wriggling underneath the onslaught of attacks as she blinked a few times to regain her vision that had slightly blurred from the impact. Sometimes she forgot that she wasn't a Dwarf and her head was nowhere near as strong as theirs to withstand such blows.

The shrieks and cries came to a stop as an ethereal glow filled the cavern, a shining light pushing all those who stood into a heap on the floor. She didn't have the time to blink before the light faded, her hearing that had previously been dulled returning to normal. With the pressure of the Goblins no longer holding her down she was able to push herself up to sit, dazed and confused about what had just happened until her eyes landed on Gandalf standing before them, a smile making its way onto her face.

"Take up arms. Fight," the wizard instructed but nobody moved, still too shocked at the events that happened moments ago, "fight!" he cried out once more before he charged into the fray wielding his staff and sword.

The company let out a battle cry as they regained their footing and collected the weapons that had been taken from them. Athena felt much better with her bow hanging around her frame once more and her sword resting in her hands

"He wields the Foe-Hammer, the Beater, bright as daylight!" The Goblin King fearfully cried from where he remained on the floor, watching as his subjects were cut down by none other than the company's saviour.

She turned to slash at a Goblin that was behind her, it's head falling to the ground with a thump before rolling over the edge of the platform. The company had each other's backs, killing Goblins that attacked those who were unaware and protecting each other from the snatching hands of hatred.

"Nori!" She heard Dori yell, her pulling her sword from a Goblin's stomach as she witnessed Thorin reflect the Goblin King's blow directed at the ginger dwarf, him toppling over the edge after stumbling backwards a few steps due to the sheer force of Thorin's defensive move. She rushed forwards and grasped a fistful of Nori's shirt before hauling him up to his feet, turning around only to come face to face with a Goblin. It did not advance any further, it's face contorting into one of pain before it fell to the ground with a large gash in it's back. Her eyes moved from the goblin to Glóin, who stood with an axe in his hands, sending him a nod of thanks.