III. Choice

The company stood on the other side of the completed barricade, sifting through their collection of weapons and choosing which ones they preferred and arranging the unwanted ones into placeholders to keep them safe and organised.

"Come on!" Thorin called to the others as he strode past them, heading towards the ladder that would take them to stand on a balcony situated above the blocked doorway.

Athena looked over at Fili with a questioning stare, him shrugging in response as he was just as confused as she was. Everybody followed after him, taking it in turns to climb up the ladder after gathering a weapon from the table. She grasped onto the hilt of a sword and kept it clutched in her hand while she ascended the ladder, unable to put it anywhere else as she hadn't had the time to collect or search for a scabbard.

When she reached the top her eyes widened at the sight before her. Hundreds, if not thousands, of Elves stood staring at them from the ruined city of Dale—clad from head to toe in golden armour with bows clasped in their hands. They were Elves of Mirkwood and they were prepared to fight.

The thumping of hooves directed her attention to a white horse that darted towards the Lonely Mountain with a rider saddled on its back. Despite the army that was waiting on the doorstep she was grateful it was only Bard who had approached, she'd always thought that he was an honourable and reasonable man and hoped that they'd be able to avoid any bloodshed by having a discussion with him, if it was Thranduil who had approached them then there would have been no hope at having peace.

"Hail Thorin, son of Thrain! We are glad to find you alive beyond hope," he called out to the king as he came to a stop before the set of stairs that lead up to the entrance.

"Why do you come to the gates of the King under the Mountain armed for war?" He asked in response.

"Why does the King under the Mountain fence himself in like a robber in his hole?"

"Perhaps it is because I am expecting to be robbed."

"My lord, we have not come to rob you but to seek fair settlement. Will you not speak with me?"

Thorin looked at the man for a few moments before nodding at him and turning away to descend down to the only gap that lay in the barricade which would allow them to speak more freely on the ground as equals. Bard dismounted his horse and approached the entrance to meet up with him, a raven squawking and flying out from the mountain in the process.

From where they stood at the top they could still hear both sides of the conversation, all of them listening intently to the discussion that was happening below them.

"I'm listening," Thorin quietly said when he met up with Bard.

"On behalf of the people of Lake-town, I ask that you honor your pledge. A share of the treasure so that they might rebuild their lives."

"I will not treat with any man while an armed host lies before my door."

"That armed host will attack this mountain if we do not come to terms."

Athena looked back over at the army that watched them from across the land, they were easily outnumbered and it would be less of a battle than it would be a slaughter. The company had endured many hardships in their travels and been outnumbered by foes almost every turn that they took, but this time they didn't have an escape and it would only be a matter of time before Erebor was infiltrated and their blood coated the ground that they walked on. Even the hidden entrance wouldn't serve them an escape. She felt a hand on her arm, turning to see Dwalin gesturing with his head for them to go back into the mountain for protection in case the exchange didn't end in their favour.