II. Beorn

A distant buzzing filled her ears, Athena turning onto her other side to try and ignore the sound that threatened her sleep. Her eyes fluttered open when she felt something tickling her hand that was laying across the floor, it took a few moments for her eyes to adjust to the light that streamed through the windows and coated the house. When they did they settled on what was disturbing her hand, a bee was perched on her knuckle before it took off and away from her hand once more, sending a feeling of pleasant comfort throughout her.

A thumping sound was heard in the background as well as chatter that she recognised belonged to the Dwarves. She pushed the blanket off herself before she sat up and stretched her arms above her head with a much needed yawn. When her muscles relaxed and swung back to their neutral position she looked to her side to spot Bilbo fumbling around with the large bees.

"They are gentle creatures, they will not hurt you," she assured him as she pushed herself to stand, extending a hand to the Hobbit who took it before lifting himself up as well. Another bee landed on his shoulder but this time he did not flinch away from it, instead waiting until it left of its own accord. When it had gone he hurried to catch up with Athena who was already heading towards the voices.

"I say we should leg it, slip out the back way," she heard Nori say as she approached the group.

Kili grasped onto her wrist before pulling her towards the window, pointing to what was outside to show her what they were talking about, it was there that she saw a man larger than most chopping logs with an axe, despite it not being an act of malice she couldn't help the goosebumps that made themselves present on her arms, picturing how brutal he could be if he decided he did not like that they had been in his house the entire night.

"I'm not running from anyone, beast or not," Dwalin responded to Nori, grabbing onto his arm with his hand.

"There is no point in arguing," Gandalf interrupted when Nori was about to retaliate, "we cannot pass through the woodland without Beorn's help! We'll be hunted down before we even get to the forest," he explained, his eyes landing on Athena and then Bilbo who had just joined them. "Ah, Athena and Bilbo there you are. Now, this will require some delicate handling, you must tread very carefully. The last person to have startled him was torn to shreds," he explained, the company glancing between one another with concern and bewilderment in their eyes. "I will go first and Bilbo and Athena you come with me," he gestured to the Hobbit and the woman, both of them widening their eyes after what he had warned only seconds ago.

"I— is, is this a good idea?" Bilbo asked unsurely while he walked to the Grey Wizard.

"Didn't you just tell us that we could be torn to shreds?" Athena asked afterwards, hesitantly taking a step towards Gandalf.

"Yes, now the rest of you just wait here and don't come out until I give the signal."

"Right, wait for the signal," Bofur nodded in understanding from his place at the window.

"And no sudden movements or loud noises and don't overcrowd him. Only come out in pairs," he instructed before taking a step out of the house, turning around as he decided to add on to the directions, "actually Bombur, you count as two so you should come out alone. Remember, wait for the signal."

And with that Gandalf and Bilbo left the house  Athena looked over at Kili who only gave her an encouraging smile and thumbs up before she left the house as well, jogging a little to catch up to the two that headed towards the axe-wielding man.

"You're nervous," Bilbo observed from the other side of Gandalf, the wizard clearing his throat and looking down at him before he noticeably flinched when another piece of wood was chopped in half.