XIII. Furnace

Athena ran through the dark and narrow passageways below the mountain, the constant fear of being found by Smaug gnawing at her while she and Bilbo tried to reach the exit together. They jogged up one of the staircases, her lungs threatening to collapse under her shallow breaths.

"You're alive," she heard a familiar voice state, looking up to see Thorin waiting for them at the top of the stairs. Even though he was now in danger as well, she couldn't help but to feel comforted that he had not deserted them.

"Not for much longer!" Bilbo cried out, but Thorin blocked the doorway and their way out.

"Did you find the Arkenstone?"

"The dragon's coming!"

"The Arkenstone!"

"Did you not hear him?! There is a dragon on our trail!" Athena intercepted the argument, staring at Thorin in disbelief of his lack of care for the wellbeing of the both of them.

"Did you find it?" He pressed, in a quieter voice than before.

"No. We have to get out," he lied effortlessly but was unable to take the step towards the door.

Thorin blocked the entryway with his sword before using it to push Bilbo backwards, Athena staring with horror in her eyes at the uncharacteristic behaviour of her friend.

"What the hell are you doing?!" She called out, stepping forwards to try and get to the threatened Hobbit but being forced to stop her footsteps when the point of the sword jabbed at her chest.

"Thorin," Bilbo called out his name, but it only served to further fuel the king's actions, his sword alternating between the both of them as he advanced on them, with every step forward he took they took one backwards.

A snarling in the distance broke Thorin out of whatever trance he was in, their eyes shifting over to the beast that had found them. Thorin now shielded Bilbo and Athena with his body, them backing away from the nearing dragon that was more provoked than it had been before. The rest of the Dwarves soon came out to join them, clustering together to face off the dragon with their weapons drawn, but they did not frighten Smaug as they had hoped, instead their presence only caused him to feel more resentful towards them.

"You will burn!" He bellowed, crawling his way towards them with fire gathering in his throat.

The company let out a synchronised cry before running back down the steps, throwing themselves down the mound of treasure to escape the fire that threatened to burn them all alive. Athena tumbled down the treasure, feeling herself being knocked about by the panicked Dwarves that surrounded her from all angles. She felt herself being hoisted up by a firm grasp, Dwalin pushing her through the doorway and back to temporary safety from the anger of the dragon.

When they were safely in the confines of what looked to be some sort of dining room, Athena turned around only to watch Thorin come stumbling into the room with his clothing aflame. He threw himself to the ground and shrugged the garment from his shoulders, standing up as if he hadn't just been engulfed by searing heat.

"Come on," and at his order they took off running after their king.

─────────

At the next order of Thorin they came to a stop on one of the many walkways woven through Erebor. There was no light to guide them and they were forced to search the darkness to see where they were going. They stood still for a moment, straining their ears for any sound in the enormous mountain. There was no sign of Smaug.

"We've given him the slip," Dori whispered to Thorin.

"No, he's too cunning for that," Dwalin responded, Athena silently agreeing with him.