(2) Wendigo: Into the Woods

🔷 Before you read, please remember votes and comments = more chapters—no votes or asking me to "please update" comments = no chapters. Just follow me so you know I've updated instead of asking me to. Thank you.🔷

❈•≫────≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫────≪•❈

Later that evening, the three siblings found themselves in the home and of Mr. Shaw, an older man in his late sixties cigarette in his mouth, having gained entry by Dean using the fake park ranger badge to garner a conversation with him.

"Look, ranger, I don't know why you're asking me about this. It's a public record. I was a kid. My parents got mauled by a..." the man spoke.

"Grizzly?" Sam interrupted, finishing off the man's story, "That's what attacked them?" Mr. Shaw paused for a moment taking a puff of his cigarette, took it out, and nodded.

"The other people that went missing that year, those bear attacks too?" Dean now went to enquire, the older man froze at the question, but he doesn't utter a word, so Dean carried on, "What about all the people that went missing this year? the same thing?" it caused Mr. Shaw to halt in his tracks again, still not saying anything.

Sometimes Harriet didn't understand why her brothers had adopted such an accusing manner. It concerned her they would frighten the older man and probably stop him from divulging anything to them. The only way to do that was in a more calming manner.

"Mr. Shaw," the young woman began to offer with a steady, reassuring tone, "If we exactly knew what we were dealing with, we might be able to stop it. So it wouldn't harm anyone else again."

But at the young woman's words, Mr. Shaw disagreed, "I seriously doubt that. Anyways, I don't see what difference it would make," He carefully lowered himself into a chair nearby and went on, "You wouldn't believe me. Nobody ever did."

Harriet sympathizing walked over to the man and went to sit opposite him, leaning forwards and speaking softly, "Mr. Shaw, what did you see?"

He was silent for a moment both the twins saw a flicker of fear in Mr. Shaw's eyes which resulted in some worry that Harriet thought might have gone too far and frightened him to bring up such painful memories.

"Nothing, " Mr. Shaw replied, "It moved too fast to see. It hid too well. I heard it, though. A roar. Like...no man or animal I ever heard."

Harriet glanced back at her brothers before turning back to Mr. Shaw just as Sam asked, "It came at night?" the man nodded, "Got inside your tent?"

"It got inside our cabin, " Mr. Shaw replied mournfully, a far off look in his eyes recalling that night's events, "I was sleeping in front of the fireplace when it came in. It didn't smash a window or break the door. It unlocked it," at that point, he glanced up and stared straight into young woman's eyes, "Do you know of a bear that could do something like that?" all three siblings briefly shared a knowing look, with the idea of what it could be, "I didn't even wake up till I heard my parents screaming."