(1) Dead in the Water: Silence Speaks A Thousand Words

🔷 Before you read, please remember votes and comments = more chapters—no votes or asking me to "please update" comments = no chapters. Just follow me so you know I've updated instead of asking me to. Thank you.🔷

❈•≫────≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫────≪•❈

They had been driving for a while with no thought on where to go. Their father still hadn't contacted them. So with nothing else to do or a new hunt to pursue, they decided to keep traveling east. On the fourth day, Dean was now looking for some hunting leads in a local newspaper as they stopped by a diner for something to eat.

"Whatcha doing?" Harriet asked as her older brother circled some articles in the newspaper with a red pen while Sam had left to go to the bathroom before she joked, "I didn't know you could read?"

"Shut up, Harry," Dean slaps her hard on the arm.

She gives her arm a brief rub, "Move it," she asserted moodily, "I gotta use the little girl's room," Dean moves out the way and goes to the bathroom in peace. Living with two brothers for weeks on end was annoying at times, but over the years, Harriet had gotten used to it while they were growing up.

"That's fun," Harriet sees her older brother pointing at some blonde waitress who now walks past hearing the cheeky tone in his voice and can't help but roll her eyes just like Sam had done now taking a seat beside him instead of Dean, who now pushed a newspaper across from the obituaries he'd been circling earlier yet one had more rings around it than the others, "Here, take a look at this, I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, eighteen, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water; nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago."

"A funeral?" Sam asked with a frown.

"Yeah, it's weird. They buried an empty coffin. For, uh, closure or whatever."

"Closure? What closure?" Harriet scoffed, looking equally as baffled as her twin, "People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them," she ends the last part with some extra emphasis, her and Sam now staring at their older brother with stony expressions.

"Is there something either of you wants to say to me?" Dean challenged, folding his arms.

"The trail for Dad. It's getting colder every day," Sam implied.

"Exactly. So what are we supposed to do?" Dean nodded with slight anger in his voice.

"I don't know. Something. Anything," Harriet voiced in frustration.