Chapter Four: The Show

"Dang it," Bradley sighed as he touched his pointed ears, "I'm an elf. I always wanted to be a mer when I was little. What are you, Avelle?"

    Avelle's ears weren't extra pointy and she couldn't feel any scales on her legs. But she freaked out when she touched her back.

    "AAAAHH!" she cried, "I have tiny little chicken wings!!!"

    Bradley chuckled. He saw that the wings had ripped itself a hole in her shirt. "Nah," he said, "Those look more like pigeon wings."

    "Not helping!" Avelle hissed.

    "Now, now!" said Eris. "We have programs to get to! We have plans! And a schedule! But first, food. Most of you are underfed."

    The competitors sat at a table that rose from the ground. Food appeared with a wave of Eris's broom.

    Lunch was delicious. Avelle couldn't tell what food it was, but she devoured it. The best meal that Avelle ever had. She was so very glad that she was here and not at the orphanage. All of the other children were content as well.

    "Alright," said Eris, "Now that you have eaten, the games shall start!"

    Fanfare blasted around the island. The games only happened once a year, it was a huge celebration, like New Year's. Everyone was in anticipation.

    Eris continued her announcement, "Your first task will be to bargain with the merchants in order to obtain the first plot coupon!"

    Avelle spoke up, "How many plot coupons are there?"

    "Five."

    Speakers played a prerecorded groan. Half of the competitors jumped.

    "Now, now," Eris said to the camera hidden in the palm tree. "These challenges will certainly be interesting!"

    There is a camera in the palm tree, Avelle thought to herself, Why is there a camera in the palm tree?

    "We are going to the Market!" announced a camera person. The camera person was an avian with majestic wings. Those wings would be very handy when recording. Avelle wondered if she could get wings like that.

    Eris had a warning. "The Market might sound like a pleasant place, but let me tell you, it isn't. At least, not for you. It will be plenty pleasant for me and literally everyone else."