Chapter Seven: The Babies

"Wonderful cakes guys," said Eris, "Except yours Jimmy. Yours sucks. Plot coupons for everyone. Ok, next stage. The next stage is babysitting."

A confused murmur went through the crowd. Someone cried out, "Why babysitting?"

Eris groaned. "I don't know! A bunch of couples simultaneously decided they wanted to take a vacation. They shouldn't do that! The games are going on! Whatever. So with all of the babies everywhere, I decided that they'd make a wonderful game show. Just don't tell their parents I did this. They were in a rush when they signed those forms"

A nervous murmur went through the crowd. Eris cracked up. "Guys, I'm just joking. Mostly. Whatever. Anyway, you guys are babysitters now."

There was a living room next to the kitchen. This was the fanciest place Avelle had ever been in. It was way better than both the orphanage and her grandparents' place combined.

Avelle was handed a baby. This little girl had tiny wings. Just barely smaller than her own.

"I think Eris gave everyone a baby of the same species," said Bradley.

"Oh hey Bradley," said Avelle. "So you got an elf?"

"Wow," sighed Bradley, "You actually remembered me? Is this what the adults call 'true love'?"

Avelle laughed slightly longer than comfortable. "Yeah, but adults think everything is true love. At least, as long as it is between a boy and a girl."

"I was given a boy elf. Do you want to impersonate adults?" asked Bradley.

"Oh my gosh!" cried Avelle, "Our children are bonding! They're gonna get married and have kids when they get older! There is absolutely no possibility that they are just friends!"

"It's a boy and a girl!" continued Bradley, "There is no other reason needed for us to force them to be together!"

"Yeah!" mock-agreed Avelle, "It's not like a boy and a girl can just be friends! And obviously they are all straight! Or else I wouldn't be an adult! I'd be a free spirited teenager!"

"Stupid teens!" Bradley said, "They grew up with air conditioning and wifi! They aren't as traumatized as us. Their opinions aren't valid."

"Wait," said Avelle, "WE'RE teens. And we've been traumatized. Just differently. And our opinions really should be valid."

Bradley replied, "Yeah, I know. I was just imitating an adult."

One of the babies started to whimper. "Oh yeah," said Avelle, "we really should get back to taking care of these babies."

Babysitting was hard. Avelle hadn't taken care of another child with the exception of Rebbeca and Kai. And Rebbeca was ten and Kai was eight, and she wasn't caring for them, but more like guarding them. Those were two completely different things.

After babysitting, Eris returned and zapped the babies away. "Welp, those little--" Eris realized that she was surrounded by minors. She cleared her throat and started over. "The babies are going back to their parents. And you pass. That was definitely a legit stage and not me asking you guys to do my chores. Whatever. Plot coupons for everyone."

Bradley sighed, "I think that went well. Look, we were only puked on once."

Avelle laughed, "Yeah, and most of it was on you."

Eris smacked them with her broom, cleaning the puke off of them. "There you go, all clean. Get up, we got more games to play."

Apparently, Eris's broom had magic cleaning properties. She went around smacking any of the contestants that got dirty.