Chapter Ten: The Mountain

The mountain was the most spectacular thing that Avelle had ever seen. The mountain was tall and grand, and yet, as tall and grand as it was, it wasn't snowing. The mountain looked warm, but not too hot. It looked like a magic hill on a painting in a fairy tale.

"Welcome!" cried Eris, "To Mount Mirror!"

"Why is it called 'Mirror'?" asked Phoenix.

"Because of the Mirror that you have to find,"
replied Eris. "Now, use your plot coupons and enter the mountain and don't talk to me until you've solved your upcoming existential crisis."

The competitors handed over their coupons. "But why did we even need to find these coupons?" asked Jimmy. "You could have just granted us access to the mountain."

"It's fun!" said Eris. "Well, at least to me and the audience. Maybe not to you guys. Oh well. Now, shoo! Hike! Climb! Figure out your place in the world! Have an existential crisis! I don't care!"

The competitors ran into the mountain. The mountain was pleasant. Avelle would have stayed there on her extended nature walk if she didn't have a goal. She wanted to find this special mirror and finally be, according to the world, 'a complete person'. This would mean she would have a soulmate.

But did she even want one? Of course! She thought to herself. Why wouldn't She? Everyone wants one! She needed one to survive. Was she lying to herself? She didn't know.

Eris's voice came over the loudspeaker. "It appears that I have missed a piece of vital information. The mirror is on top of the mountain, and yes, you can work in teams."

Teams! Avelle wished she knew that earlier. She would have partnered up with Phoenix but her fellow Songbird Sister was nowhere to be seen. But she did run into Bradley.

"Hello," he said, "How are the kids? I am a sophisticated adult."

Avelle chuckled. "Let's drop the act from when we were babysitting. We have a mirror to find."

"Ok, that's a good idea."

They continued to hike the mountain. Avelle noticed that Bradley was carrying something on his back.

"What are you carrying?" she asked him.

"Oh, uh, I forgot to put this away. It's the bow and arrow set that I used in the talent show."

Avelle chuckled. "Where did you learn archery, anyway?"

"Summer camp," said Bradley. "Where did you learn to sing?"

"Oh, I learned how to sing through Disney. Disney has some pretty good songs."

"Oh yes," said Bradley, "Disney songs. Aren't half of them love songs? The song you sang wasn't a Disney song."

Avelle laughed, "Yeah. Disney loves their love songs. And no, that wasn't a Disney song. In fact, Phoenix, that little girl I partnered with, she wrote it. She's really talented. We have a band now."

"Can I join your band?" Bradley asked.

"Well," said Avelle, "Can you play an instrument?"

"No," admitted Bradley.

"Then no," said Avelle, "Phoenix and I will manage."

"So this Phoenix girl, you're friends with her. Do you...." Bradley paused in order to take in a nervous breath. "Like her?"

"Of course I do. She's my friend. I like all my friends. Imagine being friends with someone you don't like."

"No, not that," said Bradley, visibly sweating. Avelle couldn't tell if he was nervous or tired. "Do you like her....romantically?"

"Eeww!" exclaimed Avelle. "She's like, four years younger than me! No!"

"Then do you like anyone?" Bradley asked.

"I like my friends. You can't be friends with people you don't like."

"Do you like me?"

"Yes?" answered Avelle. "You are my friend and I like all of my friends."

"But do you like me romantically?"

"This conversation is making me very uncomfortable," she said.

"Ok," said Bradley. "I'll stop."

Avelle knew exactly why she felt uncomfortable. She knew that this was exactly when she was supposed to fall in love with him and they'd be soulmates, joined by the mirror. But she didn't feel that way and somehow, that was the most criminal thing she felt she could do.

This is a requirement! Avelle thought to herself. Why aren't you falling in love? You'll be complete! People would accept you! What is wrong with you? Don't you want to be a real person?

It didn't matter. The mirror would show her her soulmate.