Chapter Five: The Market

It took five minutes to walk to the Market. The Market really did seem to have everything you ever needed, like food, clothes, electronics. The Market also had everything you never knew you needed, like wing combs, special earrings made for elves and everything waterproofed.

The Market wasn't like an ordinary supermarket. Everything was in a tent, like one would expect in a traditional trading center. Except nothing was traditional. Nothing traditional would sell the things that the market sold. No traditional market would sell herbal medicines and vaccine in the same tent.

Avelle was handed a peach. Why did that cameraman just give me a peach?, Avelle thought.

"You were each given a fruit," Eris said.
No duh.

"That fruit will help you trade in the market in order to trade for your plot coupon, which is over here. When you give me your thing, I will let you continue the game."

The competitors gave a collective "Ooohh! I get it!" The speaker played a prerecorded laugh.

"Now go! The coupon prices are there."

The competitors scrambled off. Who would trade a plot cupon for a peach? Avelle wondered. Maybe someone who is starving. But someone starving probably wouldn't have a coupon.

Avelle checked the price tag. The price for the coupon was a golden watch. Someone who was starving definitely wouldn't have a golden watch.

Avelle saw a jeweler in a store filled with jewelry and watches. "How much would you trade for a golden watch?" she asked the jeweler.

"Ah," sighed the jeweler, "I love it when the show does the Market themed challenge. All the things that the competitors would do to get you what you want."

"Hey," snapped Avelle, "I'm trying to go on a soul searching journey and you aren't making it any easier."

"Alright, alright, sheesh!" said the jeweler, "I would love a pearl necklace. It's on the other side of the Market."

Avelle groaned. The jeweler chuckled. How fun it was to make children suffer.

Avelle ran to the other side of the market. The other side of the market was near the sea. A mer was in charge of the pearl stand.

"How much would you take for that pearl necklace?" Avelle asked as she gasped for air.

"You know," said the mer, "I want a quill and ink set."

"Ok," Avelle said, "Where would I find that?"

"By that hill," said the mer, "Not too far away."

On Avelle's list was a quill and ink set to trade for the pearl necklace to trade for the watch to trade for the ticket. She ran to the hill.

"How much will you take for the quill and ink set?" she asked the avian in charge of the bookstore with the pen and quill sets.

"Hmm," said the avian. "You know, I didn't think about it. I'd ask for a book, but I run a bookstore. I'd also ask for a meal, but I already ate. Maybe I'd ask for a--"

"Make up your mind!" Avelle interrupted. "I don't have all day!"

"Actually, you do have all day," explained the avian. "You are just impatient. No competitor is ever patient. Anyways, I want a set of paint. You'll find it in the art store over there."

The avian pointed to the top of the hill. Avelle groaned. She didn't want to climb a hill. But she did. She burst into the art store.

"How much will you take for a paint set?" Avelle asked.

"Ah!" said the artist, who was an elf. "I want a new model. I've painted everything here. The skyline. The wall. Even my own face."

"I'll be your model!" Avelle offered.

"Wonderful!" said the artist. "Just stand there. Hold that peach to your chest."

The artist mixed a nice, deep brown color for Avelle's skin and a slightly darker brown for her hair. Deep shades of yellow, and orange were selected for the peach. Her clothes were painted gray.

The painting took a long time to complete. Avelle had to wait the whole time. She hated it. But after all was said and done, she got her set of paints. She left the peach for the artist, who was hungry after painting.

She ran back down to the bookstore and handed the avian the paint set.

"Excellent!" said the avian. "I can finally follow the 'How to Paint' book step by step!"

Avelle ran back to the mer and handed her the quill and ink set. She was given a pearl necklace in exchange for it.

She needed to run to get back to the jeweler. The jeweler's store was, conveniently, all the way across the other side of the Market.

"Here!" she announced, "Your pearl necklace!"

"Ah!" sighed the jeweler. "You know, I changed my mind. I want a car."

"Why you little--!" Avelle growled. Then she bit her tongue, if she yelled too much, the jeweler might never give her the watch.Avelle took a deep breath before continuing, "You know," she restarted, "I'd get you a car, but then, I wouldn't be able to get it here. I doubt the car dealer would drive it here for you. And then I'd have to drive it here myself. I don't even have a learner's permit! I'm only fourteen! You could have asked one of the older competitors for a car, then maybe they'd actually be able to get you a car. But alas. You are stuck with me. It's the pearl necklace or nothing."

The jeweler laughed. "Do you really think you are in a position to bargain? I can get anything from anyone--"

"But they'd have to enter the store," Avelle interrupted. "I might be your only customer. You never know." Avelle started swinging around the necklace in order to annoy the jeweler. She started pretending it was a bracelet. Then, she put it on her upper lip and pretended it was a mustache.

It worked. The jeweler snapped, "Fine! Just give it to me! Take your gold watch! Just don't put that near your mouth! That's disgusting!"

Avelle took the watch and just to annoy the jeweler, she hung the watch on her upper lip like a moustache.