Destiny Awaits

Earth-10005

A brunette haired girl rushed outside the tall New York office building. In her haste, she bumped into numerous people as she focused on concealing the cellphone that she held plastered against her ear. "What do you have?" She hissed into the phone. She glanced around to make sure no unwelcome ears were listening.

"I might have found something." A male voice slowly replied. "I'm getting readings similar to what we saw before." A slight paused ensued. "I'm sending you over a copy of the readings."

The woman nodded and slowly lowered her phone to look at the data stream that was incoming. With trembling hands, she began to scroll through the readings. "Where is this coming from?" She whispered as she rose the phone back to her ear.

"Earth-616."

She nodded abruptly as she haltingly continued. "Are we equipped to make the jump?" She gripped the phone tightly as she began to pray that for once things would work in her favor. She had been searching for years, hoping and praying that one day she would find her. And now, she felt so close and yet so far away.

"The quinjet is fully operational." The man responded. "We can be in the air within the hour."

The girl let out a sigh of relief. "I want to be in the air in thirty." She ordered as she rushed towards where she had parked her car. "We aren't missing this window." She abruptly hit 'end call' as she climbed into her red sports car. She quickly scanned her finger, which immediately started the engine. Within minutes, she was out of the city and speeding towards the private airport that housed the quinjet.

The buzzing of incoming call pulled her concentration away from her mission at hand. She quickly pressed the 'accept call' button. "What?" She exclaimed as she began to glare angrily at the slow driver in front of her. When this was all over, she should really look into developing a flying car; it would really be so much more convenient.

"Good Afternoon to you too." The amused voice of her aunt drifted through the phone. "

"I'm sorry." She replied, somewhat flustered that she had just shouted at her.

"I'm out front." She continued.

"Out front?" The girl bit her lip. Did they have plans today? She didn't remember making any plans.

"Yes." The woman slowly said. "We were going to get lunch, remember?"

"Oh." She let out a sigh. Excuse. She needed an excuse now, but she couldn't think of anything. "I'm a little stuck on a project. I may be a little late." Probably a lot late; in fact, she probably wasn't going to make it at all.

"Where are you?"

She let out an inaudible groan. Her aunt was definitely getting suspicious. This was bad; this was very bad. She knew that both her aunt and uncle thoroughly disapproved of her ongoing search. They both saw it as a pointless waste of time. And at times, she had to agree with them. It had been years since anyone had seen or heard from them, but she had to hold on the dimming hope that somehow they were still alive.

"I just needed some fresh air." She began. "So I went for a drive."

"This doesn't have anything to do with that reading from 616, does it?" Her aunt sternly questioned.

"Maybe." She finally admitted as she pulled into the airport. She bit her tongue as she heard her aunt let out an exasperated sigh.

"Ok. How about we talk about this over lunch?"

The car came to a lurched stop. The girl glanced down at the phone, and then back the quinjet that would soon be ready for takeoff. "The window is only open for at most an hour." She closed her eyes as she began to rush. "If we're going to do this, we have to do this now. I'm sorry." She left the phone lying on the empty seat as she shoved the door open and rushed towards the plane.