Chapter 4 ~ busted

"What were you thinking?" Lissie shouted at me. "He's not another puppy for you to rescue."

"Oh, wow." I exclaimed. "I'm so stupid. I just realized he's not a dog." I shook my head as my voice rose in volume. "I'm not that stupid. He needed help. What was I suppose to do? Leave him?" I shouted back at her. "You helped me when I needed help. Why couldn't I do exactly the same thing?" Hah. Throw her own actions right back at her. She couldn't argue with that logic. I mean she could, but it would make her look stupid.

Lissie's demeanor instantly shifted. "This is not the same thing." She pointed at Peter. "There's a city wide search going on right now. The FBI, CIA, NSA, local police. Everyone is looking for him."

I shrugged. "Then let them look. They won't find him." I plopped down on the couch next to Peter. I crossed my arms and tried to give the most defiant look I could muster. "He's innocent. We just have to prove it."

"I should probably just go." Peter mumbled. He started to stand.

"Sit down." Lissie instantly told him.

Peter jolted back down into his seat on the couch. He glanced over at me, and I could see worry again begin to grow on his face.

Lissie began to pace back and forth. "Silver is going to kill me if she knew I had anything to do with this." She mumbled under her breath.

"If they find him then they will kill him." I flatly said.

"They won't kill me." Peter started. I turned to glare at him and he instantly stopped talking.

"Oh that's right they won't kill you. You'll just have a terrible accident. My bad." I rolled my eyes at him.

"Ok. Both of you stop talking." Lissie snapped. "I have to figure this out."

"What's to figure out? I get my laptop and I reconfigure the video to reveal Beck as the slimy creep he is." I exclaimed.

"How are you going to distribute it?"

"Easy. I hack their servers and stream it on live television." I shrugged. "Maybe even leak it on social media. If the general public believes he's just an innocent kid that's been framed then we can increase the likelihood of a fair trial and even potentially get the charges dropped."

"Charges?" Peter jerked to attention. "What charges?"

"The UN held about emergency meeting last night." I slowly said. "Since the attacks took place in multiple countries it was deemed to be an international threat." I glanced at Lissie as I tried to think of the best way to word what I knew he needed to be told.

"And?" He pestered.

"They've issued several charges against you." I paused as the color drained from his face. "The most serious were multiple charges of international terrorism."

The realization of my words washed over him. He began wringing his hands and muttering to himself.

"The UN ordered increased surveillance of all parties who you've have had contact with. Your aunt and friends, Stark Industries, the Avengers." I paused. "It's not safe to contact any of them right now or they could be charged with being accomplices."

"So what you're saying is." Peter paused and then continued slowly. "I'm in this by myself." He glanced up at us. There was a strange look of hopelessness that I could see welling up in his eyes.

"Not exactly." I softly said. "I mean I don't have anything better to do." I forced cheerfulness into my voice hoping it would help him see the light in this mess.