Chapter 17 ~ bonnie and clyde

Indiana. After spending the day at S.H.I.E.L.D., it was amazing how amazing the alternative sounded. The only good thing about the day was that I was finally on good terms with both Clint and Sam. For Clint, I suspected I was his new project. After all, what better way to preserve the memory of the Black Widow then to help another case that Fury believed to be absolutely hopeless. And as for Sam, we had come to a mutual understanding that sarcasm was an acceptable form of communication that should be exercised as frequently as possible. As for Fury, I was positive that neither of us would be founding fan clubs for each other anytime soon.

The ride on the quinjet was long. Partly because Sam miscalculated and didn't buy enough Doritos and partly because I was just anxious to make it somewhere that a cloak-and-dagger vibe.  Would it really kill a spy agency to learn how to use a different a color pallet? I mean, seriously, have they never heard of the color wheel?

I didn't have the highest expectations for Indiana, after all it was Indiana. But at least it should be peaceful and quiet, right? But unfortunately life is full of disappointments. As soon as we arrived at the little, white farmhouse, we learned that Peter had somehow managed to annoy Bucky. Banner had tried to form some sort of peace, but with no success.

Clint tried to ask what happened, and that seemed to make matters even worse, if that were possible. Banner had mumbled something about generation gaps. Peter had just helplessly shrugged, and Bucky stated he hated Peter. This had sparked another argument which was still ongoing when I decided to slip outside to explore my new surroundings.

However, upon walking outside, I instantly realized there really wasn't anything to explore. There was the farmhouse, a barn, and the surrounding fields. Let's face it; it was a stereotypical farm in the middle of nowhere.

While most of the surrounding fields were growing corn, this farmhouse didn't seem to have planted anything in years. The effect had created a rustic form of beauty, as sunflowers had taken over all the fields.

After a quick glance at the barn, I decided it was too rundown to safely explore. The sound of angry voices drifted from the farmhouse; thoroughly annoyed, I wandered out into the fields. After a while, I found patch of grass. Exhausted from the long day, I lay down to watch as dusk fell on the sleepy little meadow.

The rustling of the grass alerted me that I would soon be joined with company. "You ok?"

I instantly relaxed as I recognized Peter's voice. Right now I really didn't want to talk to Bucky, especially after my earlier conversation with Clint. There were things Buck didn't know about my time with Hydra, and I really wasn't in the mood to enlighten him. "Yeah. I just didn't want to be in there."

"Worried about tomorrow?" Peter questioned as he lowered himself onto to ground.

I glanced over to see he too had lain down on the grass and was now gazing up at the stars. I shrugged as I turned to stare back up at the sky. "I wish you could see the stars like this in the city." I softly said.

"Yeah." Peter agreed as he tilted his head upward to get a clearer glimpse of the panorama above us.

A comfortable quiet enveloped us as we both continued to stare up at the twinkling sky, the only sound was the soft serenade of crickets. "Do you ever think about how sad it must be to be a snowflake?"

"Huh?" Peter questioned.

"Think about it." I softly said. "Every single snowflake is different, and yet most people don't even take the time to look at them and instead get annoyed by them. Can you imagine all the beautiful snowflakes that no one has ever seen?" I paused as I glanced over at him. He was staring at me looking completely amused by my question. I quickly turned to focus on the sky as I felt a blush rising to my cheeks. Again, a silence fell over us.