Chapter 38 ~ trapped

The wrench I had been menacingly waving around now fell to the ground with a loud clank. Stupid. I inwardly seethed. I'm such a idiot. Is it that hard to actually not drop something?

"What do you want?" I shouted as I frantically motioned for Morgan to come stand behind me.

"I came to say goodbye." Her airy voice began as she began to condescendingly glance around Tony's workshop. "Pathetic." She muttered under her breath as she effortlessly glided down the steps.

Goodbye? My mind began to race at the thought. Goodbye as in I'm leaving you alone now and not going to be a creepy psycho stalker or goodbye as in six feet under? I mean there's kinda a big difference as to what an appropriate response should be.

"Goodbye?" I finally questioned as I nervously shifted my stance under her cold gaze.

"You served your purpose." She calmly responded.

Would it kill her to give me a direct answer once in her life? It's not like that filled in any blanks as to why nutcase here decided to drop in for a visit.
"If I served my purpose then why are you here?" I angrily spat as I crossed my arms.

She smiled at me and then her gaze shifted to something behind me. And then, I instantly knew. She wasn't here for me. She was here for Morgan.

"No!" I shouted as I frantically flipped the wrench off the floor and into my now outstretched hand.

"You've become sloppy, Lilian." She shook her head in disappointment as she slowly approached us. "No plan for my arrival. No plan for an escape with her." She sighed. "I really thought I had trained you to be better."

"Well, I didn't turn out to be a psychopath like you; so I'd say I'm doing one thing right." I quickly retorted with an eye roll.

"Spouting off insults as a way to convince yourself that you have the upper hand." She shook her head once more. Seriously, if she kept doing that she was going to turn in a bobble head.

"You want your freedom." She paused. "You can have it." She smiled and a look that would have made Bellatrix Lestrange appear sane spread across her face. "She's coming with me."

"Not on my watch." I growled back.

"You would keep my daughter from me?"

"She's not your daughter." I shouted as I shoved Morgan further away from her. "F.R.I.D.A.Y." I shouted as I prayed that I had managed to stall enough for the AI to back up and running.

"No one is coming." Dare sneered as she slowly stalked towards us. "You always believed that someone would come rescue you, and they never did."

"And you always believed that one day I'd be loyal to you." I scoffed. "I think you're the disillusioned one." I shoved one of Tony's metal tables down on the ground between us.

"Daddy left emergency numbers on the fridge." Morgan panically exclaimed as she tightly gripped my leg.

"A little late for that." I bitterly muttered as I began to rack my brain for any semblance of a plan. I had definitely planned for my own escape, but had never considered that her target would have changed to Morgan.

I pulled the bobby pin out of my hair and handed it to Morgan. "I need you to hide." I rushed. "Don't come out for anyone except Pepper or Tony." I continued. "Give this to Tony and tell him I'm sorry."

"But what about you?" Morgan sniffled as she formed a tight fist about the hair pin.
"I'll be fine." I forced a smile. "We're sisters right?"

Morgan nodded with a tiny smile.