Flashback

Dear Natasha,

A big box of toys were delivered today. Olivia and Lucy took all the dolls. I didn't really care though because I got a new Nancy Drew book. Have you read Nancy Drew? She's a detective. I think you'd like reading about her. She's really cool! Just like you!

I've been trying to make friends with the other kids like you said, but I don't think I'm very good at it. Olivia was teasing me again so I went to hide in the woods. She's afraid of the bugs in there so she never bothers me. I saw a deer. It was afraid of me at first, but now it doesn't run away when it sees me. I think we might be friends now.

"You alright?" Clint's steady voice pulled Natasha back to the situation at hand.

She took a shaky breath before nodding. She had been trained to stay focused on the task. Nothing should distract her. But the last letter she had received from a certain six year old kept replaying in her mind. She wished she had replied sooner. She wished she had said more in the few letter she had sent back to the girl.

She had told herself it was for her safety. But no matter how infrequently she replied, Lily would dutifully keep sending her letters. Natasha sighed to  herself. If she had done this all differently, maybe she wouldn't be standing here in the charred wreckage of what had once been a bustling orphanage.

It was all gone. No survivors. 23 children. 3 staff members.

A gas leak had led to an explosion. That was the official story, an unspeakable tragedy. But she knew differently. Hydra had found her.

"What do you think?"

"I think they found her and created the explosion as a way to cover it up." She sighed. "For her sake, I hope I'm wrong." But deep down, she knew she wasn't. Her worst fear had just come true, and in spite of all the precautions she had taken, she'd been unable to prevent it.

"Did she say anything in her last letter about them?"

"Nothing." She shook her head.

Olivia tried hiding my books again. She told me I was a weird nerd and that I would never be adopted because I'm so ugly. I got mad and told her that the reason she's never been adopted is because nobody could actually stomach living with her for forever. That made her cry.

I was grounded to weeding duty for an entire week. I didn't mind though because I found a toad in the garden. I hid it in Olivia's bed. It really scared her, but the toad was fine. It might have been a little traumatized from seeing her ugly face though.

Do you know of any good pranks I could pull on her? She told me that you came to visit me one night and then locked me outside in the rain until I cried. I really miss you.

"You can't blame yourself." Clint gently began.

"I know." She nodded as she slipped down to her knees. She had caught the glimmer of something metal in the sunlight. A sad smile formed on her face as she lifted the small silver necklace.

"What is it?" Clint leaned forward to see the metal strand. "An arrow?"

Natasha nodded as a lump formed in her throat. "Before I left her here, we went shopping." She shook her head. "She needed clothes and things. She saw this necklace and couldn't take her eyes off. It wasn't even ten dollars." She closed her fist around the small piece of jewelry. "She said it was the prettiest thing she'd ever seen."

"We'll find her."

Natasha nodded. This attack was strategic. Whoever had her didn't want them to think they had her. They wouldn't haphazardly send her out to do their bidding. It would be purposeful and discreet.

Do you think the reason I haven't been adopted is because I'm weird and ugly? I read this book about a girl with red hair and she liked to read too. In the book she even got adopted. Do happy endings happen only in books? If they do, then I don't understand why so many people don't like to read. Some people have come to talk to me, but they all picked other kids here. I guess that maybe Olivia is right; there must be something wrong with me.

"Steve and Sam haven't found any leads on Barnes. It's possible whoever took her might be after him as well."

"I'd say that's likely." Clint nodded. "I'll reach out and let them know to keep their eyes open for a feisty little girl."

"Steve's met her once." Natasha grinned for a second. "She had him wrapped around her finger within seconds."

Clint smiled to himself. "I heard she outsmarted Rumlow. I would have paid to have seen that show."

Natasha nodded before again glancing over the wreckage. "I never should have left her here."

Was that why you left me here? Because there is something wrong with me? If you come back, I promise I'll be good. I'll eat all my vegetables. I'll never complain about anything. I'll even give up cookies and ice cream, if it would mean you'd come back and adopt me.

I know I have bad dreams sometimes, but they weren't so bad when you were here. And I understand you're scared that something bad might happen to me because you're a spy, but I'm not scared when I'm with you. One day, I want to grow up to be just like you.

I'll write to you again tomorrow!

Love,

Lily