Flashback

"Sorry!" Lily cheered as she sent Grant's red piece back to start. "Can you show me how to reshuffle the deck again?" She happily asked. "Please." She flashed a big smile at Grant. After he had come to get her, they had gotten to go on a really long plane ride; she had fallen asleep partway though. Then they had gone for a really long car drive until they reached a log cabin in the middle of the mountains. It was so pretty. She had seen a sneaky raccoon, some deer, a funny little goat, and a giant moose. 

She even had her own little room. It was so cozy. It had wood paneling and wood flooring and a big log bed and a colorful quilt. She loved it here so much that she never wanted to leave. Since it had taken so long to get here, the rest of the day had consisted of playing board games. Most of which she had won. She turned to stare at Grant, as she secretly hoped he would show her how to shuffle the cards again.

Grant rolled his eyes and let out a sigh before he begrudgingly obliged the little girl's demands. He then slowly showed her how to shuffle the deck of cards for the third time. He glanced up to see her bouncing around on her knees as she surveyed the game board.

"Am I winning?" She cheerfully questioned as she smiled up at him. She evidently had not been paying attention to his most recent demonstration.

"Maybe." Grant smirked as he finished shuffling the deck.

"If you win are you going to make us play that stupid game with all the weird pieces?"

"You mean chess?"

"Why's it called chess? Is that where the Cheshire Cat got his name? Because he's really confusing too!" Lily took a deep breath and then continued. "Can we play Battleship again?"

"Why? So you can beat me again?"

"I must just be better at strategy then you are." She innocently said.

It took everything within him not to scoff at her revelation. He quickly bit his lip, not wanting to hurt her feelings. The first time they had played; he had let her win. As for the last seven times, for his own sense of pride he was telling himself he had just let her win those times as well. There was so way she could be better at strategy then he was; it had to be beginner's luck. "It's getting kinda late." He began.

"But I'm not sleepy!" Lily protested as she tried to hide her yawning with her little hands.

"Uh huh." Grant's eyes rose as he watched her eyelids continue to droop more and more as the game progressed.

"I want to stay up later." She finally whined.

"Why?" Grant shook his head. "When you wake up it will be morning, and then we'll be going to the park."

Lily began to pout. "But then it will be tomorrow and one day closer to when you leave again." She angrily shook her head. "I don't want you to leave. I miss you when you're gone." She sadly muttered as her eyes started to fill with tears. She quickly jerked her head downwards to avoid his gaze.

"Hey." Grant softly said as knelt down to look her in the eyes. "I will always come back for you. We're a team, and I will never leave my partner behind. Ok?"

Lily nodded as she reached up to give him a hug. "Promise?" She whispered.

"Always." He gave her a reassuring smile as he watched her scamper off to go brush her teeth. He pulled a book out and sat back in the old couch in front of the fire.