Chapter 5 ~ elephant trunks

"We're taking the subway?"

I turned back to see Peter slowly following me through the subway station. He had a dazed look on his face as he nervously kept adjusting his sweatshirt's hood and kept looking around. Great move. That's not going to alert practically everyone here that we're trying to avoid detection.

"No. I just felt like visiting the sewer rats." I rolled my eyes at him and grabbed his hand, pulling him towards our train. "Come on slow poke."

He quickly followed me aboard the train. He glanced around quickly and tried to pull his hood down further over his face.

I jerked his arm, making him trip into the seat next to me. I glanced quickly around. Everyone was preoccupied with their cellphones. Perfect. I glanced over at Peter only to see him looking very panicked.
He kept turning his head to view the entire train car, and then he began messing with his hood. He then repeated the entire cycle all over again.

I smirked at his agitation. "Hey." I softly said. His gaze came back to me.

"Hi." He quietly replied. "I'm just making sure we're safe."

I nodded slowly, trying to keep my amusement from being too obvious.

"What?" He hissed.

"You would make a terrible spy." I snickered as he leaned back in his seat looking completely exasperated with me. "Let's play twenty questions."

"Why?" He questioned as he began to mess with his hood again

"Well it will keep your mind off other things and." I dramatically paused until I got his attention again. "And it might be fun. You have 19 questions left."

"Fine." He crossed his arms and stared intensely at me. "Why are we taking the subway?"

"Of all the things you could ask me you ask me that?"

"Yes." He smirked. "19 questions left."

Frowning back at him, I decided that I might as well answer his question to make him shut up about it. "Ok. The subway is the most obvious choice for transportation in the city. So it's the last place anyone would expect to find us."

"That actually kinda makes sense."

"Why thank you. I do try." I sarcastically replied. "Ok. My turn. Who's Happy and why is he called that?"

"That was two questions. I believe you have 17 left."

"Oh shut up." I smacked him in the stomach.

He jerked back upon my touch and dramatically pretended to be injured.

"You are such a drama queen."

"You should have seen the look on your face when you thought you actually hurt me." He laughed. "Happy use to work for Mr. Stark. I got to know him when I interned there. He's now dating my aunt, and he's called Happy because he pretends to hate smiling." He paused. "He acts like a grump, but he's actually a giant teddy bear." A smile slowly spread across his face as he talked. "Ok. Who's G. W.?"

"G. W.?" I questioned.

"Yeah." He tilted his head forward. "The initials on your backpack."