Chapter 6

Saturday morning brings menstrual cramps and a double dose of misery. Snow is falling lightly outside and I don't feel like getting up from my bed.

I glance at the clock.

9.45 am.

Oh shit. Leonardo won't be happy if I'm late.

I'm not too psyched about going to his penthouse to speak to the wedding planner.

Getting married isn't something I had in my plans until at least five years into the future; so I don't have the slightest clue on what I want my wedding to look like.

I'm only nineteen for goodness' sake.

I'll just let Leonardo take the lead, I think to myself as I brush my teeth.

I hop into the shower and take exactly ten minutes in there. I scramble out, dry off and lather on some lotion before stumbling into my room.

I grab a random big, black, warm hoodie from my closet and put it over a black shirt.

"Jeans or shorts?" I mumble to myself.

I think about it and laugh.

Sure, Sadie. Put the shorts on and freeze your actual ass off. Be my guest.

I put on a pair of black jeans and slip on some Doc Marten boots. I quickly scurry over to the mirror and brush some mousse into my waves before quickly tying it up into a ponytail.

I glance at myself in the full length mirror. I look okay. I accidentally put more effort than usual, actually.

I make my way downstairs just as the doorbell rings.

Phew. Just in time.

The last thing I want is for Leonardo to think that the waitress girl is not only poor, but tardy too. What a tragedy it would be to him.

I open the door and surely Leonardo is stood there, decked in a yellow parka, a black hoodie underneath, black jeans and black timberlands.

He raises an eyebrow and I immediately know that he too noticed the fact that we are unintentionally matching with the all black theme - save for the yellow parka, of course.

His hair looks so perfect I'm almost jealous.

"Uh, good morning," I greet him rather awkwardly.

He puts his hands in his pockets and starts retreating back to his car."Better get going before we're late."

What? No 'good morning to you too'? Alrighty then.

I shut the door behind me and lock up before following him to the car.

He opens the passenger door for me - probably for the benefit of the pedestrians gawking at us. He walks around to the driver's side and starts the engine.

My phone rings just as I'm starting to fiddle with the heating system of the car.

I hit answer.

"Good morning," a male voice greets. "Is this Sadie Torres?"

"Speaking."

"I'm doctor Samuel Ferdinand. A team of researchers and I came to the hospice today to see your mother and a few other patients with a similar case to hers."

I sit up straighter. "How is she?"

I wasn't able to visit her yesterday because I had been at Lauren's place and then I had to go on the 'date' with Leonardo. A wave of guilt rushes over me.