Chapter 12

Saturday came quickly, and I was nervous but excited about Armand's get-together tonight. Stella and Terrance both agreed to go with me to the party. They had been quiet with each other, but when I brought up the invitation, they both thawed out quickly, and we talked about what it would be like. Stella was more thrilled with the fact that I accepted, assuming that I was finally taking her advice. I wasn't sure what I was doing anymore. I was confident when I told Stella I shouldn't mess with him, but that shit flew out the window when I saw him. I was mentally smacking myself whenever I thought of the invitation during the week until finally, Saturday was upon us.

Grandma and the others had canceled practice for this weekend when they found out he was celebrating, and some of us were to attend. Mrs. Eleanora and Mr. Saint-Claire weren't thrilled, but even I could tell that Mr. Saint-Claire loved his grandson and wanted him to be happy. Besides, one weekend off after a grueling four months wouldn't kill anyone. They also agreed that anyone for we would take off that weekend for anyone else's birthday, which would pop-ups a much-relieved situation for everyone.

Stella spent the night with me Friday night, and we hung out all Saturday morning. My mom and Aunt Lisa were just as thrilled about this development as Stella was, and they spent the whole night teasing me about it. I had rolled my eyes so much that I was surprised they weren't permanently stuck in the back of my head.

Stella wasn't satisfied by anything in my closet that Friday night and mom agreed with her, the damn traitor, so Saturday morning, the four of us all loaded into mom's car and hit the mall.

We walked around the different shops for quite a while before we finally settled on an outfit, and I was shocked and impressed with their choices. It is also nervous as hell and slightly embarrassed. It was guaranteed to make me stand; I'm pretty sure that was their point.

Later that day, when we got home, my mom made us lunch, and we had a lovely afternoon together. Stella and I ended up taking a nap and when we woke up started getting ready. It wasn't going to start until nine, so I imagined we could get away with getting there by ten. Terrance would pick us up and drive us over there when we were ready. Mom said she would skip the curfew since I was with Terrance and Stella. She loved and trusted them so much that whenever we were together, I didn't have to come home early or at all. Their parents felt the same as well. If I were going by myself, I would have definitely had a curfew. They trusted us to stick together.

Stella wore black leggings with cuts all up the side to her hips. She wore an electric blue long-sleeved crop top and matching platform ankle boots. She put on silver hoop earrings, a silver bracelet, a silver choker, and silver waist beads. She had recently cut her hair the last weekend, and it was in a sharp short bob which looked amazing on her. Her makeup was done to match her darker look, and I thought she looked great. I stared self-consciously in the mirror next to her as we admired ourselves. Mom came in and said, "You girls look great. I hope you have fun, and baby, you're going to knock his socks off." I rolled my eyes and said, "I could care less about his opinion." I saw them exchange looks in the mirror, but they didn't say anything.

I ignored them and heard the doorbell ring downstairs. Mom ran down and let Terrance in and then came back up. She said he was sitting on the couch waiting for us. She said, "Wait, let me take pictures of you guys quick; Lisa is going to love this. We took several quick shots in different poses and then headed downstairs. She took a picture of the three of us before she let us go on our way. Terrance was looking for his usual handsome self in blue jeans with a crisp blue button-up matching Jordan's.

He said, "You guys look good. I'm glad I got the strap just in case a nigga starts tripping." My mom casually said, "I'll bail you out if you have to use it." I said, "Mom!" She shrugged and said, "I trust him to protect you, girls, even if that's the cost. They are damn near like my children too. I want to make sure you are safe." She leaned in and kissed me on the cheek, then Stella and Terrance too, and said, "They can look but don't touch." She smiled and said, "Go ahead and get out of here. Text me when you guys make it. Terrance remembers no drinking and driving and makes sure these two don't get into trouble." He said, "Yes, ma'am," and we all headed out the door.