Chapter 6

As we walked out of the house through the backyard and headed towards the family cemetery, my family walked around on either side of me, chanting old prayers. I was surrounded in a circle by the members of the council. My mother stood on my right, holding my hand in hers, and my grandmother was on my left with my other hand. They both were chanting as well. Even though my mother wasn't of the line, her blood ties to me strengthened the familial bond. My grandmother told me that she had taught the rituals to her over the years just in case she needed them. As much as she tried to protect me from it, she wanted a guarantee knowing that anything could happen.

As we walked, my thoughts ran across my mind. I couldn't imagine what this was going to be like. To speak to the ancestors that not even my wildest imagination could come up with. I had heard grandmother tell me all the stories and all the tales, but for everything to be real was still amazing. I had to admit I was scared. I wish Terrance and Stella had been able to come, but they weren't allowed. They only knew because they happened to be with me when Naamah attacked.

As we neared the graveyard, the chanting got louder; they switched from French to Haitian Creole, French used for basics, Creole for the strongest of rituals. My heart pounded in my chest, but as we crossed the threshold, something in me calmed immediately. I felt at peace, and a warm wind passed through my hair and skin. Normally graveyards creeped me the hell out, but for some reason, I felt comforted here, almost as if I was welcomed, with no danger, no zombies, just peace.

As we walked, my grandmother and mother both squeezed my hands. We finally stopped at the old oak tree in the middle of the graveyard. It was almost a swamp-like area and was the most beautiful place on the whole property. I loved the tree even though I mostly watched it from afar. It stood almost like a skyscraper and was many meters wide.

Grandmother guided me to the very middle of the tree and had me kneel in front of it. All my family and the council gathered in a semi-circle around me and continued the chants. My grandmother stood in front of me, and she chanted too. Delphine stepped forward next to my grandmother and handed her another little bottle. It was dark red, and I knew the blood of the council mixed with the oil used to mark my cousins and mother while they prepared me. I wasn't comfortable, but I understood it must be done.

Grandma changed her chant and started marking me with blood and oil. The rest of the council stepped forward and took turns marking me with a symbol. Soon my arms, chest, and face were marked. Grandma and the rest stepped back into the circle, and everyone went silent. The graveyard stood still. Not even the leaves on the trees moved. Grandmother looked at me and nodded. I knew it was time.

I placed my hands flat on my thighs, lifted my head towards the skies, closed my eyes, and began my chant. "Zansèt, pitit fi ou vin jwenn ou kap chèche konsèy. Tanpri gide m, vin jwenn mwen. Ede m konbat mal sa a ki chache m 'lan. Pwoteje pitit ou ban mwen fòs epi ede m debouche sou pouvwa ke ou te beni mwen yo." (Ancestors, your daughter comes to you seeking counsel. Please guide me, come to me. Help me fight this evil that seeks me. Protect your child, give me strength and help me unleash the powers you blessed me with).

Suddenly I felt a strong wind around me, hitting my stomach, leaving me breathless. I leaned forward, coughing and trying to take deep breaths, when I finally opened my eyes and stopped immediately, stunned. My family was no longer around me; I was alone in the graveyard, and it was back silent as if even the wind was scared to wake the dead. I looked down at my hands and realized the markings were gone. I was scared as hell, not knowing what to expect. I stood up slowly from the front of the tree and looked around. It seemed utterly empty, just a bunch of dead folks and me. Not a comforting thought.