Chapter 16

Friday came quickly, and all Stella and I could talk about were our dates on Friday night. She and Terrance had been fumbling about their newfound relationship, but it was so cute. They were trying to find that new balance between still being friends and a new couple and keeping me from feeling like a third wheel. It was pretty amusing, honestly. One moment I would see them, and they would still be arguing and talking shit just like they did when they were best friends, the next moment, I would find them cuddled in some corner, making out with each other. And, of course, the incessant touching when we were all together, then quickly pulling away as if I would be offended.

However, Terrance's fan club was the downside of their newfound love. Terrance had always been popular because he was on the basketball team, plus rather attractive if you like that sort of thing. It was quite the gossip around school that the popular basketball player had started dating his socially average best friend. About half of the school loved the corny story of best friends falling in love; the other half was disappointed that he wasn't dating someone more popular. The rest really didn't give a damn.

And the worst part was the cheerleader who had her eye on Terrance since he came into the school. Angela Thompson. Stella was still slightly bitter over Angela, and I could tell she was somewhat insecure since Angela had been pursuing Terrance hard, especially the night they celebrated. Terrance took Angela out once or twice long ago, but he wasn't interested enough to pursue anything (now we know why), but from how she acted, those two dates were all it took. Terrance was her soulmate, and Stella was standing in her way. Ever since she found out they were dating, she had been giving Stella dirty looks while upping her flirt game with Terrance.

Terrance, who was highly annoyed, used every moment to remind Angela about how much he loved his girlfriend, Stella. It was a sweet gesture but also had the double-edged sword of making Angela go after Stella more.

On Friday in school, another one of those moments occurred when Stella found me at lunch. Stella sat down next to me and said, "I'm going to kill that fake preppy ass bitch." I shook my head and said, "So what has she done now?"

Stella aggressively opened her lunch and said, "She's spreading rumors now that I stole Terrance from her by being easy and giving it up quickly. As if I would need to throw goodies at him for him to want me! Besides, we aren't at that level yet." If Stella could blush, she would be doing it at that moment. I said, "Are you nervous about the idea of having sex with Terrance?" She jumped, looked at me, and said, "It's that obvious, huh?" I said, "Written all over your face, sweetheart."

She lowered her voice and said, "He is fine with taking it slow. You know he has more experience than me. I've only been with two guys myself. So we're going to chill. Besides, this will be our first time with someone we love, so we don't want to make it something just to do." I nodded and said, "I get it. Well, that's good that you guys are having the conversation. And I'm sure it will be wonderful. But until then, how do you want to handle Ms. Fake Preppy?'

Stella started laughing, and we started talking about what to do and still were by the time Terrance joined us after running late from class. Stella let him know what was going on, and he fake banged his head on the table. He said, "I'm so sick of that girl. I've had guys on the team keeping most of the cheerleaders in check and, of course, trying to dissuade those stupid ass rumors, but she is fucking insane."

I said, "The things we do for love." He shook his head and turned to Stella. "I'm sorry dating me is bringing you all this crazy shit." She shook her head, turning shy suddenly, a side I've seen more of since she was in love, quite weird, honestly. She said, "It's ok; you're worth it." He grinned a big corny grin and grabbed her hand, and they just stared at each other. I rolled my eyes and returned to my lunch, both happy and disgusted by my best friends.