TBI: Chapter 22

"How's your guys' team?" I asked the couple in front of me. It was three days later and I was back at the café. Derek looked up from Stephanie's phone that she had placed in her lap, leaning back against his chair once he realized I was antsy.

I have to admit, I'm an attention whore. I wanted their attention.

Especially since I had a crush on Stephanie--and her brother as well, which was all wrong in so many ways.

"Good," Derek replied, glancing at Stephanie. She put her phone away and flicked some hair behind the ear closest to Derek, which was her right one (my left), emerald eyes coming to meet Derek's russet brown ones. They shared a look before turning back to me.

It should come as no surprise that they were in the same group. Apparently, each person who had been a captain previously was able to choose someone from their old group that they wanted in their new group, and somehow, they allowed Stephanie into his group. It didn't help that I could tell she was becoming more and more distracted with little things, more emotional, and more... just, weird. She was possibly a distraction to the rest of the team.

Yeah, I'm salty. Salty he didn't choose his best friend or his platonic son.

I'm sure Hart missed the two.

"Good how?" I asked.

"Well," Derek began slowly, then he stopped. He glanced at Stephanie, took a slow breath, and then eventually said, "...My members are nice. They're smart. Cool. But we don't have a connection with them like we do with you guys. I almost kind of miss you not answering on your helmet."

"That's cuz you got to yell at me."

He frowned immediately, "No. I miss it cuz I miss you. We all don't see each other often enough anymore."

I shifted in my seat, gently stirring around my yogurt awkwardly. I didn't like how he turned jokes so serious sometimes, but I knew he couldn't help it. He grew up faster than he needed to and was used to being the hard voice of the family. His little sister Felicia, Hart, Stephanie, his mother, and occasionally me were the only people he seemed to go soft on. Many a time when we moved into Shirogane had I come home to see Hart curled up in Derek's lap, talking about school and other random things while Stephanie brushed his hair, occasionally braiding a small chunk.

Hart loved to have his hair braided. In fact, he braided hair extremely fast, and extremely well. But I think he just liked other people touching his hair (gently, at least).

"What, is there something wrong with me missing you?" He asked, voice steely. He was also the man who believed, for himself, that men shouldn't show emotion because emotion was a weakness. So if he thought I thought he was weak, he got angry about it.

"No," I replied quietly, "I'm just... not used to people missing me, is all."

Derek's frown went away, replaced by a blank look. He paused before reaching over and ruffling my hair, his hand lingering before he sat back.

"You shouldn't get used to it," He replied, "I'm sorry. I'll visit more often, okay?"

I nodded, glancing at him before looking at Stephanie. She smiled encouragingly, quiet until leaning in a little.

"We have a secret to tell you," She said softly. At her beckon, I leaned in as well, watching as Derek's face suddenly looked very nervous.

"We're not sure yet," She was saying quietly, "We're only going off a test. But..." She glanced around, then with a big grin whispered, "I might be pregnant."

A numb feeling instantly washed over me and I slowly leaned back in my chair. On the one hand, I was elated. I knew the love they shared; it was sweet and kind, and even though he had anger problems, Derek was working through them and he was already a great fill-in dad.