TBI: Chapter 27

Usui had booked several rooms in a nearby hotel for both villages our groups visited. A bus came and picked everyone up, followed us to the hotel, and then dropped everyone off. Alyssa got roomed with two other teenage girls from her neighborhood; originally, John (the leader) had tried to pull the "she'll be safe with me" card, but there was no way in hell I would let that happen.

For fuck's sake, she was developing into a woman; she was apparently 10 years old. If she hasn't started her period yet, she would be late for average nowadays. It was extremely inappropriate to be sleeping with a man she wasn't even related to that was, like, four times her age.

So, with that reasoning to back me up, I got her with some other girls. I just hope I didn't pair her with girls she hated.

While Usui, Hart, John, and the other leader talked, I sat alone in the main hall, by the front doors. I was playing a cool game called Dancing Line, which I got recently. It required a ton of replays to get it down pat, but I had memorized the first four. Now I was on the fifth level.

I played and tapped the screen, dying the moment I got distracted by someone sitting next to me. Upon a glance, I realized it was the middle eastern man.

Fuck, I'm getting so tired of saying all that. 'Ooh, it's the middle eastern man'.

Yeah, no.

"Hello," He greeted with a charming smile.

"Hello," I responded. I glanced at my game dejectedly before pocketing it, turning to give him my attention.

"My name is Zach," He introduced himself, reaching out with a hand, "You?" He extended it a little too quick, making me flinch and lean back, but then I realized it was fine. I shook his hand, giving him as much of a smile I could.

"Mark," I answered. His smile was charming--maybe too charming, but I tended to over-exaggerate people's expressions.

"Mark," He said, gazing off as if he'd just tested my name on his tongue. Then he turned back with the same smile, "It fits you. A handsome name for a handsome man."

I felt my face heat up, my teeth instinctively biting my lip. My eyes averted down to the floor, my breath hitching as he tilted my gaze up with a finger under my chin. His thumb brushed my bottom lip slowly, pulling my lip out as his thumb passed where I was biting.

"Don't want you marring that face of yours," He said with a smile. It reminded me distinctly of... that. They said something similar.

'Don't smack him! We don't want to ruin his pretty little faggot face.'

Resisting a shiver of uncomfort, I passed him a small smile before my eyes drifted to the side. They caught onto Montague, who was talking to Valkyrie while running a hand through his hair. He looked... worried. He looked like he was afraid the world was going to end.

His eyes drifted to me a moment later, widening as his mouth opened a tad. He began walking over quickly, throwing a glance and maybe some words to Valkyrie over his shoulder, and then locking his eyes on Zach. His face hardened, steeled, a tinge of anger in his features.

And I could see he wasn't acting.

"Are you seeing anybody right now?" Zach asks. I blink myself back to him, drawing in a breath as I realize how much closer he's gotten. I glance to my left, making sure I have an escape route, and then look back at him.

"Uh... no."

"I see. Would you like to come with me to dinner, then? Tonight."

I feel myself blink, my chest tightening in anxiety. Sure, there were people around... but he might be driving. Oh--No, we can't go in a car. That would... Maybe I could convince him to go on the bus...