2026

"Wait! Don't leave yet!" I turned around to see my boyfriend's mother quickly walking over to me, gently flicking the syringe in her hand to force the bubbles away. I chuckled and shook my head, rolling up my sleeve. She came up right next to me and gently grabbed my arm, checking the sky blue substance before gently pushing it into my vein.

I resisted from shivering, the drug turning my blood cold. She helped me wrap a bandage around my arm, giving my boyfriend a look. He immediately glared, his light green eyes flickering in scorn.

"I'm not taking that." He said for the hundredth time today, and she shrugged, wishing us a good day before closing the door.

"Why not?" I asked, laughing when he glared at me. He was convinced it was a killing machine just waiting to happen. You know what I thought? If it hadn't done anything for 6 years, why would it do anything now?

MVL. That was the title of the drug, specifically 'Micro-Virolus Lunacy'. Dissecting the name would mean small, virus, and, well... lunacy, or the state of your mind. MVL was made up of hundreds of thousands of tiny microbots and chemicals (where Micro and Virolus came from, though it wasn't really a virus) that were designed to activate upon from adrenaline and allow you to change to your 'Insane' side. Which basically just meant the side of us that couldn't care less to kill whenever and whoever. It allowed us to kill because it only activated on adrenaline and our fight or flight sense because that showed we were in danger. And that was where the Lunacy part came from.

So far, I'd successfully escaped from a few loose and misled K-9 dogs. Now, I call that gold. My boyfriend calls it unnatural.

"Where are we going?" I asked, slipping into the passenger seat of the car. The air smelled of smoke and gasoline from factories, but the car smelled of his cologne and the lemon car freshener he'd recently gotten. While strong, it was definitely better than the putrid scent outside.

"To Luca's restaurant." He told me, slowly backing out after he'd turned on the car, "He gave me a coupon and offered a discount the other day, so I figured we could go since his food is also really good."

I felt my mouth begin to water, "It really is, man. God, I can taste it already..."

He chuckled, slipping his hand into mine, his short, jet-black hair shifting as he glanced at me. I took the time to really look into his features.

His skin was somewhat tan, darker than most but not enough to be 'mixed'. He displayed both Asian as well as European features; the hair and skin were from Asia, but his face was clearly European. His eyes were a pure green, dotted with specks of jade, and were half between being round and slanted. He was tall, around 5'10", whereas I was about 5'6". Today was June 25, 2026; he would be 21 this December. I would be 19 in August.

I was a tad lighter than him, with an Italian tan, and my hair was a wavy coffee brown. My eyes were that shade as well.

We reached the restaurant soon after leaving. Luca was one of our close friends; while he was younger than me at a staggering 16, he was already an award-winning chef who owned a few restaurants in our area. We always got coupons, discounts, and special deals with him, mainly because we had urged him to divulge in his talent and compete in a competition that had allowed him this.

"Riley!" He greeted me at the door, jumping down the few steps and wrapping me in a hug. He smirked at the two of us, "And you brought your boy-toy, too. Have I got a perfect table for you two." He led us in, ignoring the looks from the women in the line who were waiting to get a table. He was a very good-looking teenager, with his platinum blonde hair and turquoise eyes. He looked much like an elf; young and bright.

Up the red-carpeted stairs, we ascended to the third floor. It was a floor intended for meetings and special or important reservations; shaped like a rectangle, the two longer walls were made entirely of glass. The back wall had an elevator for servers to come up easily while the front led to the stairs. At the bottom of the stairs was a velvet rope which he had opened for us, gesturing upstairs with a welcome hand. He led us to a small table in the corner, setting down the menus he'd grabbed for us and turning on the hovering candle in the middle of the table. He pulled out a notepad.

"I'll serve you today," He told us with a grin, "What would you like to drink?"

"Root beer, please." My boyfriend answered, opening the menu. I opened it was well, looking down the drinks section. I had a sudden headache, so I just shrugged.

"Water for me." My boyfriend looked up at me immediately, confused. I never got water unless I was almost dying from the heat.

As Luca nodded and left, my boyfriend set his hand over mine.

"Are you okay?" He asked, setting his hand on my forehead, "Shit. You're burning up, kid."

"Am I?" I realized I felt a bit lightheaded, biting my lip. "Yeah, I'm okay. I'm okay."

But suddenly, my head felt like it was splitting. Black dots took over my vision and my head began to roll around on my shoulders.

Hands were set on my cheeks, but after a moment, I didn't feel them anymore. I felt pain on one side of my face.

Then everything was black.  

*~*~*~*~*~To Be Continued*~*~*~*~*~

Uploaded on Saturday, April 16, 2016

Word count: 972 words