01

"Mother, come on," I whine as she adds more red lipstick on my lips.

"You have to look your best." She grabs my chin firmly. "I can't afford to have my daughter looking like a low class."

"Whatever you say, mother." I comply and stay still so she can put on my makeup perfectly.

"Annalisa" She calls my name and looks deep into my eyes. "I want the best for you. I want you to be better than me and your father."

"I know mother," I said feeling guilty. "I'm sorry."

"I love you, you know that right?" She asked.

"I know you love me and want the best for me even if it means you make me give a speech at the charity program," I mumble.

"Come on what other way do you think the people would believe we are extremely generous." She asked. "Now promise me you will not put up a show."

"I promise mother," I say and look up at the mirror.

I can't even recognize the girl staring back at me. I don't even have an idea who I am now. For years I've been trying to answer that question. Who is Annalisa?

Wow,  she really did a great job. I look way older than my actual age. The bun on my head is perfection. The red lipstick and eyeliner make my blue eyes stand out. The makeup isn't too much but it's more than most girls my age put on. 

I look beautiful as usual. Mother wouldn't let me leave my room except I look my best.

"Oh, Annalisa." She puts her hand on my shoulder. "You look so beautiful."

"Thank you, mother." I look into her eyes through the mirror.

"Go put on your dress now." She starts to head to the door. "You will join your father and me in fifteen."

I sigh let out a loud sigh when she leaves the room. I know she means well but sometimes she can be a bit extra.

I walk into the closet. It's probably the size of an average teenager's bedroom. For some reason, my mom believes I need a large range of clothes. A proper lady should only repeat an outfit once. I try to explain that it's ridiculous but she won't have any of it.

I see the dress bag that lies on the chair. I unzip it to see a beautiful red dress. It's is simple yet very elegant. I smile at her choice of clothing. I notice the pair of heels beside the chair. It's a nice four-inch heel that is black. It's one of those heels that have a strap at the ankle.

I quickly dress up so I can make it down on time. The last thing I need this morning is lessons on punctuality. Mother would literally sit me down and have a long talk on how it was very unladylike to be late for anything.

I put on the bracelet that my father gave me on my sixteenth birthday. It's is silver encrusted with diamond. I really love it. Even though I hate it when my parent buys over expensive things for me, I really love this bracelet.

I put on my earrings and the matching necklace. I take a step back and admire myself. I look like one of those posh British ladies in the movies. Way to go mother.

You got this Annalisa. Just take a deep breath. In and out. There you go. Now go give that speech.

I give myself a little prep talk in my head. I hope I don't disappoint my mother and father today.

I quickly rush out of my closet. I see my purse lying on my bed and grab it. I rush out of my room and run down the stairs to meet up with my mother and father.

"Don't run Annalisa." Mother scolds making me slow down. "How many times do I have to tell you?"

"Sorry mother," I mumble at her walking gracefully down the stairs.