09

"Annalisa, why are fidgeting so much?" Mother asks looking irritated.

"It's nothing, Mother." I calm myself down looking down at the plate that I barely touched.

"Well, it got to be something if you're fidgeting this much." She took a bite out of the chicken on her plate.

I glance over at Daddy and he gives me a warm smile encouraging me to spill it out.

"I met someone today after my lunch with Eric," I say tapping my foot on the ground nervously.

"And what type of friend is this?" Mother questions dropping her cutlery and focusing on me.

"She goes to the same school as Eric," I say looking up at her, and her mood changes instantly.

"That is very commendable." She smiles picking up her cutlery. "Harrington Prep is a very prestigious school very difficult to get in. These are the people you should hang around with Annalisa, people like... what's her name again?"

"Macey."

"Of course, people like Macey." She continues glancing over at Daddy once in a while. "Not those girls that are nothing but negatively influencing you."

"They aren't that bad mother." I sigh defending my friends playing with the potatoes on my plate. "Chloe is one of the sweetest girls you'll ever meet and Robin, she's very outspoken."

"And how would you know this isn't just an act." She drops the cup she's holding harshly on the table. "They are only with you because you are privileged."

"That's not true," I exclaim taken back at what she said. "They don't care about the money daddy makes. They treat me like everyone else not like I'm some heir to the throne."

"Do you think they'll stick around for long?" Mother raises her voice causing me to jump up slightly. "They want to use you Annalisa you are just too naïve to notice that. If you were not born privileged you wouldn't have a single soul sticking close to you."

I felt tears run down my cheeks at what she said. "Not everything is about money Mother, some people are genuinely nice and want to get to know me for who I am. Maybe if you realize this earlier you would have friends who actually care about you!" Mom gasps shocked at my response to what I just said. I glance over at my equally surprised father. "I just wanted you to know I'll be hanging out with Macey tomorrow. Excuse me."

I didn't wait for anyone to say anything before I stood up and left. I couldn't be with her right now she was a pain and I can't stand another moment with her.

Frustrated with myself I walk upstairs to my bedroom. I've never said something as mean as that to my mother before. I can't help but feel guilty about my outburst, I shouldn't have snapped at her like that.

At the same time, I feel proud of myself for finally standing up for myself. I finally was able to give my opinion without being scared of what she might do. It's a nice feeling.

I flop down on my bed closing my eyes but all I picture is Zane's face. I felt a smile from thinking once I remembered the conversation we had earlier. For the first time, I felt like I was the captain of the ship.

********************

"So what happened?" I ask swinging my legs and sipping from my milkshake.

"Some girls had him taken to the nurse's office." Macey let out a chuckle at the memory. "Fight was so bad that he broke the poor guy's nose."

"He's so brutal," I whisper glancing over at his empty table. "Does he always get away with this?"

"I think so." She shrugs cleaning another empty table. "I heard he almost got suspended once."