06

"Your home late." Mother snarls the moment  I stepped into the house.

"Brett didn't pick me up and I had to catch a ride from a friend," I say to her as she looks up and down at me with disgust.

"Why are you wet and dirty?" She raises her eyebrows still looking at my dress in disgust. "Do you know how expensive this dress is?"

"It was rainy and once I found a shelter the whole place was dusty," I explain looking at the ground and twisting my hand for luck behind me.

"Did you walk home?" She asked sensing something odd with my story.

"No, why?" I ask refusing to show any sign of fear even though I'm trembling inside.

"How did you get wet if you were in a car?" She stand up and drops the newspaper walking to where I was standing.

"I never said I was in a car." I point out moving a step away from her closer to the wall.

"Are you trying to be smart with me?" She raises her voice a lot higher. "You think you can be rude to me after a few days in a public school? Huh! Do you think you know everything? Is that it?"

"No mother," I say with tears threatening to fall. "I never-"

"What do you think people are going to say if they see you looking like a lowlife?" She shouts gesturing at my outfit. "Why couldn't you just wait Annalisa?"

"It was getting late." I look down as the tear I held in flows freely down my face. "I'm s-sorry. I  j-ju-just wanted to come home a-and it started r-raining a-and I had to wait for the rain to stop a-and-"

"Oh, Annalisa." She says in a comforting tone spreading her arms wide for me. I didn't hesitate running into her arms. I don't like fighting with her at all. "I just want you to be safe."

"I'm sorry," I whisper as she rubs my back smoothly. "I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

"It's okay sweetheart." She pulls away with her hands on my shoulder. "Go have a warm bath then put your clothes in the laundry room."

"Yes, mother." I nod and start walking away when she let go of me.

I wipe my tears walking up the tears with a grin on my face. I hurry up to my room not being in the same area as my mother.

************************************

"I can't help but feel guilty," I say looking down and playing with my fingers.

"Why do you feel guilty?"

"I don't know, I lied to my mother again." I look up with guilt written all over my face. "I can't believe she bought it."

"Told you she would," Zane smirks letting out a puff of smoke. "So predictable."

"I would thank you but you didn't give me any good advice." I crossed my arms over my chest.

I know you're probably wondering why I'm with Zane again. Well, this is what happened:

"The rain is going down," I whisper to him on the verge of falling asleep. I tried my best not to fall asleep on his shoulder. I mean it won't be so bad falling asleep on him but then again I don't trust him one bit.

"Don't fall asleep." He nudged my head on his shoulder which made me raise my head a little.

I stand up and look down at my dress. I was wet and dirty. It looks like I took a mud bath in it.

Oh no. Mother's going to kill me. I can't go home looking like this. I'm a mess and I'm already not on her good side right now. She's still angry about the mall incident and now I'm coming home not only late but dirty. She'll think I'm getting influenced by the public school. I really don't want to go back to homeschooling, it's dreading and I hate it.

"What's the problem princess?" He asked getting up from the floor. I don't want to tell him. I doubt he cares about anything that happens to me.

"Why do you care?" I turned away from him. The only thing he cares about in this place is his cigarette and his phone and if his bike was in here he would care about that too.

"There's a big difference between being curious and caring." He said in a flat tone making it sound worse than it already is.

"I can't go home looking like this." I turn to show him my dress. "I'm a mess."

"So?" He raised his brow looking confused. Did I mention he looks harmless when he's confused?

"My mother would kill me." I thought of all the possible things that she could do to me.

"And how's that a problem?" He started walking out of the building. "The most she could probably do is to take your little phone away from you."

"You don't know my mother." I snapped at him getting annoyed at his assumptions again.

"I'm pretty sure I do." He opened the door of the building stepping out.

"You don't know her as I do," I whispered rubbing my hands together. "Within the wall of my house, she's different from the woman the world knows."

"Then make her go soft on you." He shrugged as if it was something easy to do. "I'm sure she has a soft spot for little miss perfect."

"And how do you do that?" I asked trying to catch up with him. I don't know how he walks so fast.

He stopped and turns to face me. "You first walk into the house and act natural."

"Like nothing major happened?" I asked as he started walking towards his bike again.

"Yep." He smirked leaning on his bike and waiting for me to catch up. "Then when she asks you what happen you tell her with a little bit of sass."

"She'd get mad and start yelling at me." I point out standing in front of him with my arm crossed.

"That's right." He nodded looking at the ground. "You cry."

"That your plan?" I asked in disbelief. I thought he would say something way cooler than that. "That's all?"

"Honestly I would tell you to just walk past her but you don't have the balls to do that yet." He said helping me get on the bike. I turn red as I feel his hands on me.

"What if your plan doesn't work," I asked as he got on the bike.

"Oh, it would work." He said starting up the bike which made me hold him tight.

"Doesn't matter princess." He shrugs. "Go to class."

"What about you?" I ask standing up. "Aren't you coming?"

"Look, just because I help you yesterday doesn't make us friends." He stands up walking closer to me. "I only helped you because I was bored and you were my only source of entertainment."

"What are you talking about?" I ask deeply hurt by his words.

"I still think you are a pathetic daddy's little princess who is so fucking gullible." He walked out leaving me behind in tears.

I thought that we could actually be friends. I thought he cared at some point. I really fell for his tricks. I can't believe he used me as a source of entertainment. I feel so stupid.

I wipe the tears that keep falling out of my eyes. I try to stop them from falling but they just keep flowing. I want them to stop and I don't want to ruin my makeup. 

The sad truth is that after all this, I still want to be around him. I still want him to talk to me and that's what I don't understand.