Meet Mommy Dearest

I got up and threw my lunch away. I no longer had an appetite to eat. I walked to the bathroom and I heard footsteps behind me. I swear if it was Petey I was going to knock the daylights out of him. I turned around and saw Tina who was playing around with her bracelet.

"I thought you were that creep Petey." I said laughing

"Hell no I think he got the message from all of us, I can't believe he would start a rumor like that about Sunshine." Tina said

"I can, he's a dork who's not getting his way." I said fixing my hair

"Ugh Mr. Jones annoys me he did this whole segregation thing just so I won't see Alan." Tina said fixing her lip gloss in mirror

I rolled my eyes and laughed. We walked out the bathroom and headed to the rest of our classes. School really sucked because of the history of the project of not having an integrated school. I ended up taking mom and dad's car because Jerry wanted to stay and watch practice.

I decided to head to the store and grab some things before picking up Ronnie from practice. My brother decided to get a ride from the guys and hang out with them. I pulled up to the school's field and waited until I saw Ronnie in his uniform and I got out of the car.

"Hey gorgeous." He said walking up to the car kissing me

"Hmmm hey you ready to go to your house." I asked

He nodded as we got in the car and drove to his house listening to To Be Loved by Jackie Wilson. His hand held mine as he drove down the path towards his house. We were so wrapped up in singing we didn't notice the blue lights behind us.

"I'll handle this okay." Ronnie said

(Tina's POV)

Me and Alan were laying down. I admired his beautiful smile whenever we talked about out future but my smile quickly faded thinking about out future meant Alan meeting my mom and dad. They were strict and had their hopes on me marrying a black guy but you can't help who you fall in love with. I was truly and deeply in love with Alan there was no going back.

"What's got that pretty smile hiding from me?" He asked knocking me out of my thoughts

"Nothing.... Well.... Alan, does your parents know about us."

"Of course." He asked

"I mean know about us." I said pointing to my skin color

He smiled and kissed my cheek. "You bet they do" He said laying down read a book

If Alan told his parents about us then I shouldn't be afraid either I was going to introduce him to my parents it's time.

"Alan?" I said

"Hmm." He answered, never looking away from the book. I swallowed my spit and took a deep breath

"Come to my house for dinner tomorrow around 7pm." I said attempting a smile on my face

He looked away from his book and gave me that childish smile which I loved. His smile made all my worries go away and all the bad feelings I had disappeared. We cuddled until it was time for me to go home.

I was at home thinking about how to tell my parents that my boyfriend was coming over for dinner, The one they knew nothing about I finally stopped thinking and fell asleep. I woke up Sunday Afternoon to my mom listening to music. I smelled Sunday's dinner brewing from the kitchen. I got up and walked to the kitchen. I saw my mother swaying her hips while stirring whatever was in the pot to Luther Ingram If Loving You Is Wrong I Don't Wanna Be Right... My mother and Father weren't together, they were separated but papa always came over for Sunday's dinner. He never missed a Sunday's Dinner that was also his way of checking in on me.

"If loving you is wrong I don't wanna be right." my mother sung

" Honey, do you expect to get a good husband if you're not up by sunrise to cook and clean." She said

" I don't need a husband when I have a loving mother." I said smiling

"You gone have a husband, baby, I want grandchildren." She said

"Mhm." I said going up to my room to get ready for dinner. Dinner was always ready by 4pm  after that papa took me for ice cream later that night we talked and he would leave again until Sunday again. I walked downstairs to help my mother set the table with forks and knives and plates. I looked in the mirror and fixed my light makeup once more.

"Baby ain't nobody special coming over but you raggedy ole man." My mom said referring to my outfit and makeup if only she knew. I took a deep breath and heard the doorbell ring. It was my papa of course Alan wouldn't be coming this early.

"Papa you're here." I said

"Of course I never miss sunday dinner." He hugged me then headed over to the table where my mom sat down the fried chicken and greens.

"Baby gone get them collards and yams out the kitchen." She said sitting down next to my dad I grabbed the two plates of food and the pitcher of iced tea. I sat the things down on the table and the doorbell rang. "Here goes nothing." I said in my head I went to open the door. I heard my mother and father talking. My mother thought it was Jaz and my father shrugged. I opened the door and there was Alan smiling with flowers in his hands for my mother. I smiled and let him in and closed the door. This was right, it felt right nothing else matters but this moment.

"Baby who was at the door." my mother asked biting into the chicken as Marvin Gaye Mercy Me Mercy Me

"Laretta Look up and see." My papa said smiling at me at least he approved

"Hello nice to meet you I'm Alan." he said smiling

"Are you a friend of my daughters?" My mother said with her evil side eye

"I'm her---." He was cut off by me grabbing his hand in mines

"We are a couple. He's my boyfriend." I said with a smile."