Chapter 16

~ Ron's P.O.V ~

"God, I'm such an idiot!" I scolded myself, leaning up against the cold brick wall behind me. I could hear the sounds of Y/N's footsteps as she walked back to Gryffindor tower. If there was any hope of her liking me previously, there was none now. I knew I screwed up when I kissed her, but even if she didn't like me back, I still wanted to be friends. Y/N was like my other half. She understood me and my insecurities when no one else did. If I didn't have her by my side, I had no one.

The dance still raged on, the loud music carrying through the halls. I didn't really want to go back to my empty table, because looking out at the dancers caused me to fantasise. I imagined dancing alone with Y/N, elegant music complimenting our movements as I dipped and twirled her. The way she looked in the moonlight, and how when she smiled, it felt like she smiled for me. The feeling of our skin pressed together as I dip her down, the last note of the symphony hanging in the air. She eyes glance at me, and I pull her back up, pressing our chests together and watching as her eyes flutter closed before I kiss her tenderly, feeling the world fade around us.

I snap myself away from my stupor, my cheeks flushed. Deciding that I've had enough social interaction for the night, I walk myself back up the many flights of stairs, to the seventh floor. The Fat Lady greets me with a drunken smile and lets me into the common room without a word. I start towards the boys dormitories when a familiar sound stops me in my tracks. The song from the howler echos faintly through the room, I would know it anywhere. At first, I thought that maybe it went off in the dorm while I was out, but listening closer, I noticed it is accompanied by the sound of rain. Confused, I stumble dumbly around the empty common room until my line of sight stops at the door to the showers.

Pushing the door open, I am greeted by the familiar doors of the mens and women's rooms. Steam is seeping from the cracks in the women's shower door, and the song grows louder as I enter the confined space. I hesitate.

If I go inside, someone might catch me. And I don't want to catch anyone naked. But if I don't this might be my only chance at finding out who sent the letter.

Y/N's face swims before my eyes, and my heart leaps at the possibility of her being the sender. I quickly sweep the thought away, not wanting to get my hopes up, and begin to turn around when a line from the song stops me.

Ron, know that you and I

Shouldn't feel like a crime

Before I realise what I'm doing, I impulsively push open the woman's door, the song now growing louder. Peeking my head around the door, it takes a few seconds to see through the steam, but when it clears I can get a good look at the stalls.

Only one was in use. Hanging outside that stall is the beautiful familiar dress that Y/N wore to the dance, along with the sweater of mine that she wears to bed, and her pyjama shorts that she wore the night we met on the common room couch. I can't help the goofy grin that spreads across my face as I connect the dots. I lean against the door frame and laugh to myself. Suddenly, the water stops, and the familiar voice of Y/N calls out, "Is someone there?"

Panic rises in my throat, and before she can see me, I dash out of the shower rooms and back up to my dorm. Once I'm safe and away from the showers, I shut my dorm door behind me, loosening my tie and undoing a few buttons on my shirt before flopping onto my bed. The familiar scarlet letter is laying on its usual place on my bedside table. I pick it up, almost scared to hear the song again, but wanting to confirm what I heard. I slide my fingers under the wax seal, and the parchment unfolds easily, the song immediately flowing into the room.

The voice is identical to Y/N's, and I can feel my heartbeat speed up.

Y/N was the sender.

Y/N...

I pause. There is a huge chance that Y/N has lost her feelings for me, especially after I acted like such a git. I know I need to talk to her, and I can only hope that I still have a chance. With these thoughts swimming in my head, I am unaware of how tired I am, and I slip into a sudden sleep.

~.~.~.~

I anxiously take my usual seat in the great hall. The students around me are mumbling excitedly about the events of the dance last night, but I couldn't give a shit. Nerves jumble around my insides like a hive of angry bees as I watch the doors to the great hall flood with kids. The familiar H/C H/T head of hair catches my eye, and I swear that my heart is beating the fastest out of any heart on earth. I know what is about to happen will cause me to be the centre of everyones jokes for the rest of the school year, but it would all be worth it... Hopefully. Y/N and Hermione make their way over to where I am seated with Harry, and Y/N's E/C eyes catch mine. She smiles sweetly at me, and my heart soars. I grin back at her, and watch with joy as a hint of pink stains her cheeks as she looks away.

Harry turns to look at me as the hall fills with the sound of flapping wings. He clasps me on the shoulder, giving me an encouraging grin as we both turn to look at the flock of owls carrying the morning post. Y/N takes no notice, until a brown owl swoops down and drops a familiar looking scarlet letter into her lap. She freezes for a moment, her face turning almost as red as the letter, and then, unexpectedly, she looks right at me, her brows furrowed in confusion. Hermione looks between us in joy.

"Oh, open it! Open it Y/N!" She laughs. Y/N's dainty fingers slip under the fold of the letter, breaking the wax seal and the hall hushes in anticipation.