Well That Went Well

(Time Skip to a year and a bit later, covid does not exist in this story, and stay safe everyone)

Riley's Pov

I had been watching the lifeguards season final, aka surfing tag day, where they dress up in ridiculous costumes. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, pulling it out, I could see that my friends had texted me, saying that they were taking their boards and paddling off of flat rock, across to the other side. I decided to join in, I had done it several times, but before I was adopted.

We would just be far out enough that the lifeguards wouldn't know who we were unless they came close but close enough that if we ran into trouble, we could signal for help and the jetski could reach us. I should tell someone I am going out there, looking around I found Jehtro, who had crashed, came back to shore and was focused on getting liquid lipstick off his mouth.

"Hey Jeht, whats up?" I asked innocently.

"Hey, Riles..what do you want?" He asked me.

"um, well ...I-" I began to explain when he cut me off.

"I am just going to say yes because if I know what you are doing and you get caught, they would trace it back to me, and then I would get in trouble for knowing what you were doing and not stopping it. So, do whatever, just please don't get hurt. I am sure Boo, Jesse, Maxi and everyone else on the team would murder me." He finished his long rant. I couldn't really blame him, after last time, he was forced to clean the changing room and the mens bathroom for two weeks straight. I had to clean the females for a week one time, so I can only imagine how dirty it was.

"Okay then, at least I have some consent, even if it was passive aggressive. See ya, dont rat me out, good luck with the lipstick situation." I said walking off.

Now just to grab my board and sneak past about 20 or so lifeguards, easy and lucky for me, sand doesn't make a sound when you walk on it. I successfully got to the water near the backpackers rip and started to paddle, knowing for sure that I was being watched by every lifeguard on that beach. I would say now I am about 10 or so meters from shore, I paddle fast. I could hear something whizzing behind me, as I am getting closer to the rocks, and hopefully I can safely land on them.

My friends are paddling from Bronte Beach to hear and then to the other side. Finally seeing my friends coming towards me, I think...that's weird, one of them dove under the water. Wait I see my two friends (yes I know two I don't have that many reliable friends) behind whatever swam below. Uh oh, don't tell me, the reason the helicopter circled, I see the thing come up to the surface, (keep in mind I am like 20 feet from shore). It was a great white shark, swimming our way from Bronte beach, someone probably reported a U.F.O (unidentified floating object) and now the helicopter is circling to check it out. As my friends get closer, the shark who is swimming silently below them does too.

One of my friends, Layla gets to my side first, the other one, Ryan slows her pace a little bit to catch her breath. Suddenly her broad bumps forwards, which in turn sends her flying off her broad with a loud splash into the water. I see a fin start to head towards her, great.. you see trouble just finds me. Ryan attempts to swim back to her board quickly, but suddenly screams and starts to get pulled downwards. I jumped off my board, preparing to take a dive into the water. I took a really deep breath and dunked my head in, hissing as I felt the salt water stung my eyes. I could just barely make out her form, struggling as she tried to get away from the shark. I could see the shark's mouth was still very securely attached to her foot and showed no signs of tiring or letting go. 'Great way to make it easier for us,' I thought sarcastically. I dove deeper and grasped her hand and wrist. I didn't really have a plan after that. I stuck my foot up out of the water as a hint for Layla to grab my foot, which thankfully, she did. I started to pull Ryan away from the shark's mouth. I would've honestly been screaming right now, if not for fact we were both underwater and running out of breath.