Chapter 5

As Mia took a seat next to Kourtney while Ms.Jenn called up Ricky letting him know it was time to audition. "Hey there, I'm Ricky Bowen. I'm a junior. And uh.. here it goes." Ricky immediately looked at Mia for comfort, as soon as she mouthed these words Ricky's heart got warm and he gained the confidence he needed "You got this" said Mia.

      Half way through the Chad scene, it started to slowly fade out as soon as Ricky began speaking for his heart. He put the script that was in his hand and he set in on the ground and took a deep breath in.

       Mia was ready for Ricky to pour his out to Nini, she was prepared that she was going to hear something that would make her heart sink, but all she wanted for her best friend to be happy and if Nini makes him happy then she was proud of him that he didn't give up on his love for Nini.

       Mia gave him a supportive smile and he continued to talk. "I don't know. Maybe it's the way Gabriella always had your back. And maybe you can't stop beating yourself up for totally blowing it with her. And look, Troy. Even if you never said the L-word to her, cause that's like, not even a word your parents say to each other anymore..."

      When Ricky said those words Mia remembered the night where he went to her house crying, explaining how he doesn't want to put his feelings out there, and knowing that it could end up being thrown away. He doesn't want to get his hopes up, thinking that love is the best thing in the world, but love can also break him.

      Ricky knew that he was just venting, but that never stopped him. If he didn't get these words out now who knew when he could ever get them out. "Maybe it just means you are waiting for the right time to say it. Maybe even the right person." Ricky said while shifting his eyes to Mia, making eye contact with her.

     When Ricky looked at Mia the way he did, Mia felt like there was no one in the room, only her and Ricky. Mia smiled softly at him.

       Ricky didn't know what happened and how it got to that point, but he felt relieved after saying that. Ricky grabbed his guitar for Big Red after Ms.Jenn said it was time for him to sing. He began to strum the chords to the song that Nini wrote him. Mia pulled her legs up to her chest and kept reminding herself that Ricky was doing this to get Nini back. "He is doing this for Nini", she kept saying that to herself.

      But as soon as Ricky started to sing she had a smile on her face. Mia had always loved his voice, whenever she felt sad Ricky would go up to her house and sing for her just to make her feel better and happier.

        If only Mia looked at the boy while he sang, she would realize that he was looking at her the whole time.

        After Ricky finished singing, Mia saw Big Red pulling Ricky out of the auditorium to talk to him. Red was questioning if Ricky was singing for Nini or Mia. The two stopped in the hallway to see Ashlyn and Mia talking.

        Ashlyn came up to Mia, complimenting her on her song. "Thank you! you know we should really write a song together one day." "Really?" Ashlyn questioned excitedly, " Yeah of course! I love your voice." Ricky never noticed how beautiful near smile was until this moment, the way she was so nice to everybody made me very happy.

                    Ricky cleared his throat before nudging Red, "I am doing this for Nini."

       Ashlyn and Mia were talking about song ideas back and forth before Carlos bumped into them speed walking shouting "Clear!"

       Everyone crowded together as Carlos taped the cast list up. Mia gasped as she saw that both her and Ashlyn got the part they wanted. Her eyes shifted to the top and saw who were playing the main roles. Her mouth slowly fell as she saw the names 'Ricky Bowen' next to Troy's name, and 'Nini Salazar-Roberts' next to Gabriella's name.