Chapter Nine

Slinging his backpack around the chair, Dream took his usual spot and waited for Nick. After class had started and they'd gotten their assignments, Dream and Nick began to talk while sharing answers. Eventually, the topic of the other day came up.

"So," Dream lowered his voice, "Would you mind if I asked about the other day?"

Nick gulped but nodded.

"Who was the other guy?"

Nick sighed. "That was Karl, my boyfriend. We weren't ready for anyone to know yet."

Dream nodded, feeling bad for his friend. "I won't say anything to the others."

Nick smiled weakly, "Thank you."

"Do you ever plan on telling them?"

Shrugging, Nick said, "I know they won't care, but I'm still nervous."

Dream placed a hand on Nick's shoulder. "Take your time, I'm more than sure they'll accept you."

"Thanks, I knew I could trust you."

The rest of the period was spent working, the occasional banter seeming to make the atmosphere a little more breathable.

The moment Dream walked into English, a sharp chill ran down his spine as he felt a pair of eyes watching him. Purposefully avoiding Techno, he took a seat next to Zak.

"Hey dude, thanks for helping out with the homework the other day, you saved my ass," Zak chuckled.

"Yeah, no problem," Dream said dismissively.

Hearing the change in his voice, Zak looked over and caught Techno's sly smirk over Dream's shoulder.

"What happened?" Zak asked, his joking tone replaced by a more serious one.

Dream glanced up, "What do you mea-"

"Techno is burning a hole through your skull Dream, I know something happened."

Panic began rising in Dream's chest. "Should I tell him?" He thought.

"Nothing happened, he always glares at me." Dream's voice wavered.

"Not like a predator stalking its prey."

Dream's hands began to shake. "Nothing happened okay? Drop it."

Zak was skeptical but didn't want to push the other boy further.

"Fine, but if he does anything then you need to tell one of us so we can help you take care of it." He said.

Dream flashed a thumbs up and began rearranging his desk. While he was distracted, Zak glared towards Techno; the pink-haired boy's smirk only grew.

Around lunchtime, Dream noticed Techno had been subtly following him and only stood a few places back in line. An uneasy feeling settled over him as he rushed to sit with the others.

Zak and George were bickering back and forth, so Dream took a seat next to Nick and watched in amusement.

"Are you crazy?" George asked, eyebrows raised with a look of disbelief.

"No! Pineapple on pizza isn't that bad once you try it!" Zak argued.

Dream chuckled, his worries from before quickly melting away. "Are they really arguing over this?"

"Leave these two together for more than five minutes and they'll argue about anything," Nick laughed, taking another bite of his cheese stick.

Dream giggled and checked his phone, noticing there was one notification. Opening it, his joy faded as his eyes scanned the message.