Chapter Ten

Rain trickled down the window, falling silently to the ground below. Dream leaned against the windowsill, his cheek resting on his palm as he watched the drops slide down the glass. He sighed, tracing one of the paths of water.

Behind him, his grandparents were rushing around to get the last of their suitcases packed.

"You should invite that boy over while we're gone, it'll give you some company," His grandfather chuckled.

Dream turned, "He'll be over later today."

His grandmother pulled him into a tight hug. "We'll be back Sunday night, okay?"

Dream hummed in response. She let go, allowing him to resume watching the rain.

After the front door clicked shut, Dream's stomach rumbled loudly. Laughing quietly, he began scouring the cabinets for some lunch.

Loud knocks echoed from downstairs, causing Dream to jump up and quickly save his game. Running down the steps, he opened the door to greet a completely soaked George, who scoffed.

"It's raining," Dream pointed out, stifling a giggle.

"Yeah, no shit." George tried wiping the water off his goggles before stepping into the house.

Once they'd gotten settled, Dream took his empty plate downstairs. When he returned, George was sitting cross-legged on the couch, a can of Smirnoff in each hand.

Dream squinted his eyes. "George, what-?"

George smirked, handing him a can. "I figured since it was just going to be us, maybe we could try these?"

Dream stared hesitantly at the drink while George cracked open his own.

"Are you sure we should do this?" He asked, turning the can in his hands.

George nodded, taking a sip.

Dream sighed, bringing the can up to his lips. He scrunched his nose as a bitter taste filled his mouth.

"Blegh, how'd you drink that so easily?" Dream sputtered.

George shrugged, taking another big sip. "I don't know, this isn't that bad compared to others I've tried."

A realization dawned on Dream. "Wait, how'd you even get these? We're only seventeen.."

"My mom's cabinet, obviously."

"George! What if she notices there's two gone?"

George rolled his eyes, "As if. I can't even remember the last time she was fully sober herself."

Dream was a little skeptical but took another bitter sip anyway. Eventually, he was able to drink it with little trouble.

The two began to talk and after a little while, Dream's insides began to get fuzzy. He began to inch towards George, who didn't seem to notice.

As George spoke, Dream noticed he seemed a lot more bubbly than usual. He'd interrupt himself every few minutes with a small giggle, which Dream thought was adorable.

He wasn't sure if it was the alcohol, but damn was George's laugh cute. His nose would scrunch and he would cover half of his grin with the back of his hand.

Tearing his gaze from the boy, a thought drifted to the front of Dream's brain. "I trust George a lot...maybe it's time to explain some things."

"Like what?"

Dream blinked a few times. "Huh?"

George tilted his head, "You just said you wanted to tell me something."