1- Wolves

RIVER, FOUR WEEKS LATER—

My mama taught me to be polite, to always give those around me the benefit of the doubt. To never show pain or weakness to those around you— especially in court, because that's where the true wolves lay in wait, licking their chops for any sign of weakness. My mama would know— though I was the third son of my mama and papa, Mama was the eldest daughter of a prince before she married my papa and became Princess Consort. She'd had to do this whole noble mask thing a lot longer than I had, since I spent most of my formative and teen years in Papa's castle, my head in the clouds and my body covered in dirt, mud, anything I managed to get onto myself that day.

Now, looking on as Emperor Riece, so sad and lonely and lethargic for the past month— past few months, really, when he wasn't floating with joy as he walked— stood up to stare dumbly down at Cain, stalking up to him like a wild animal prowling for prey, it took all of my self-control not to do... something. I couldn't tell what, really, but my body tensed, my hands clenched into fists, and I glared at the men as Cain, his body nearly naked with the too-small clothes, knelt at the Emperor's feet.

Flashes of Cain's pure, nearly unblemished ebony skin taunted me as he slammed his right fist over the left side of his chest and bowed himself even lower before the Emperor.

Something dark and dirty, something mean and prickling went through my chest when the Emperor let out a tiny, happy-but-sad, kind of desperate sob. Then Cain was talking, the Emperor was crying, and I stopped myself as I realized I had taken a few steps forward in an almost insane kind of anger.

What the hell is wrong with me?

I wanted to attack the Emperor and drag Cain away. I wanted to stand between them and force them apart, and the thoughts confused me. I respected Cain deeply. For months, every time the Emperor had visited Teren Keep, Cain had helped me in my training. He'd given me my bow, telling me that with my body type, it would be the best weapon for me. I knew he meant, "Since you're so small and weak, a long-distance weapon will ensure survival better than a sword you can barely carry," but he was polite enough not to voice the words.

Which was strange in and of itself. If I had to describe Cain in a hundred words, polite wouldn't even rank anywhere on that list. But with me, he was just a little bit gentle. He took the time to correct my form, move my fingers on the bow so they held it properly, his big, warm body engulfing mine, and encouraged me when I missed my first twenty shots.

"Practice makes perfect, kid," he told me with a rare smile. "Try to hit that mark another three thousand times and then maybe you'll be a decent marksman."

He called me kid, kit, cub, boy, though I was sure he was only a handful of years older than me, at most, and I would bet he was my age if it weren't for his stern face and confidence. He moved and acted like an older man, though I thought that may have been only the way he held himself. But I didn't mind the names he called me. I convinced myself they were pet names, and they made me smile late at night in my bed, thinking of his stunning face and the way the muscles of his back and arms rippled when he drew his own bow.

But he was right. I'd practiced for hours, for days, for weeks, until my fingers bled, healed over, and bled again. Until I had thick calluses on my fingers, and could hit the center mark with my eyes closed.

I was now the best shot in Swyer. The Emperor had even promised a shooting contest soon, so he could show me off. Show off that he had the "best marksmen in the Seven Kingdoms— hell, on all of Nefiir!"

I'd been sent to Swyer Palace by my papa to gain experience and training in combat. To put me into court life so I may find a proper husband or wife with a dowry that would hopefully help me settle down in a well-paying profession. As a third son, my options were limited. My eldest brother Thornton would inherit Papa's throne. Dornley had already taken over the castle's parsonage and married darling Andrea, whom we had all grown up playing beside. So I was left to seek a profession and rich spouse elsewhere. 

Emperor Riece had taken me in when I'd been a scared nineteen-year-old kid, and offered me a lifelong position, if I wanted it. Both men had been kind and good to me. The Emperor had trusted me, a runt, youngest son, with his very life. And Cain... Cain had shown me kindness he didn't bestow on anyone else.

Well, until recently. When the Emperor had returned to his duties in Swyer after the mercenary attack once he was healed, Cain had been bitter, biting, and rude. He'd snapped at me multiple times, impatient and cruel in his words. I'd been hurt, but also a little understanding. He was in love with an Emperor, and he was a nameless nobody. It took everything in me not to make things worse by offering myself as an alternative to the man he couldn't have. I may have royal blood in my veins, but by the unlucky happenstance of my birth order, that would never amount to anything. However, I'd left Teren only a couple of days after the Emperor, having only stayed to train with Cain, needing to get away from him before I did something stupid as I watched him wallow in his pain and anger.

Through all this, despite Cain's recent grouchiness, they had both been kind and taken care of me. And yet now I wanted to tackle both, just so they'd stop. Stop talking, stop crying, stop loving each other.

And then Cain was offering his fealty to the Emperor, and I couldn't breathe. I stared at Cain's near-naked back, perfect lines and muscles that looked as if he could, and regularly did, crush skulls and tear apart any who opposed him.

Or who threatened his lover.

I turned from the room, knowing I was showing weakness to the wolves of the court, but uncaring in that moment. There were cheers and hoots for whatever Cain and the Emperor were now doing behind me, and I closed my eyes and pushed my way out the southern servants' entrance, breaking out into a run when I came into the empty halls near the inner guards' barracks.

I slammed my hands against my ears when the Emperor's voice echoed faintly through the halls, followed by a piercing cheer.

"I'd like to introduce Cain Dasan-Nibley, my love, my soul, and your future Emperor Consort!"

A sob bubbled up in my throat and I slammed my fist against my mouth, holding it back.

Just get inside your room, you weak, whiny baby, I scolded myself, my eyes hot, but I refused to let the tears fall. Not yet. Then you can fall apart because the man you're in love with just got engaged to another.