5- The Cabin

*****Sexy times ahead. Enjoy ;)*****

RIVER—

"How do you do it?" Argon hissed at me, his wide eyes frustrated. I snickered and rolled my own, reaching down to lift the food tray off of the table he had set it on. The food was mostly untouched, but I knew I could get the stubborn prisoner to eat.

"I couldn't tell you," I replied with a laugh.

"Oh don't give me that sweet and innocent bullshit. He growls at me, River. Growls. Like an animal. It's terrifying."

I laughed again and he grabbed my hand roughly, yanking me into his arms and smiling down at me. I smoothed my hands down his chest, smirking up at him. Argon and I had been flirtatiously dancing around each other for months, and I had wondered when he would finally make his move.

"I'm upset he likes you more. You should make it up to me."

I met his eyes, heated with lust, and giggled. "Yeah?" I asked breathily, purposely leaning forward so that as I talked my lips moved against the skin of his chin, just near his bottom lip. "You need me to kiss your hurt away, Argon?"

"Fuck," he hissed against my lips, his eyes closing seemingly against their will. "Yeah, River, I've got lots of things I need you to kiss better."

"I'll come to your rooms tonight," I replied, pushing away from him with a wink and moving back to the tray. "For now, go away. He seriously hates you, and I don't like it when he's all grumpy."

Argon rolled his eyes and stalked to the outer door. "Gods," he muttered, almost to himself. "When is the bastard not grumpy."

Moving into the cell room, I pushed the door shut behind me with my hip. The keys jangling on my waist drew Griffin's attention and he glanced up, a dark scowl on his face, as if furious at whomever had dared enter the room. The moment he saw me, though, his expression softened, his dark silver eyes warming as just the smallest hint of a smile graced his lips.

"River," he breathed, his tone almost reverent, soft and warm.

Now, staring at him across the cabin as he stalked around the room after setting me down near the hearth, I wondered for what felt like the hundredth time how he had so easily and fluidly managed to not only trick my every sense, but rip down every wall I had without me even realizing it was what he was doing.

His eyes moved to mine and I scowled before immediately flinching heavily. Gods, my legs were on fire and I wanted nothing more than to pass out and forget that I existed, just for a little while. When Griffin's eyes dropped to my legs, then the door, and he turned from me and walked out, a part of me, a small but a potent part, broke a little more. The louder pieces of me screamed out in triumph that he had left. That I wouldn't have to deal with him anymore, be so near him right where it hurt.

That small bit of me that hurt so much with his departure, though, was demanding, and I leaned back, my eyes burning as I took deep, calming breaths, trying to steady my nerves and my hands. They had begun to shake, my mind racing so fiercely I barely noticed when Griffin's steps returned. 

"I brought some cool water to try to lessen the ache on your legs," he muttered, his eyes never meeting mine as he set a bucket full of water on the ground near the bed I sat on.

I watched in silence as he pulled a set of women's leggings from the pack he yanked near him. He ripped them in half and dunked them into the water, finally turning to me when they were soaked.

"Where did you get the pack?" I asked, knowing I wouldn't like the answer, but having to ask anyways. If I didn't know him as well as I did, I might not have seen the flinch. But I did know him; at least, I had thought I did.