C H A P T E R (5) - B U T

Cassie walked at a normal pace throughout the long walk to where Steve would be. There was no desperate desire in her to run, she would be killing her brother either way before the opposing army could get a chance.

She ignored Bucky's many calls behind her as he chased her through the slightly busy street, and once he had caught up he maintained a steady pace at her side.

"I've already tried stopping him, Cass. He's adamant that-"

"He's not talked to me yet."

"What makes you think you can change his mind?"

Cassie's once confident expression faltered as she stopped her walk, turning to Bucky with sad eyes.

"Because I don't know what I'll do if I can't."

Bucky's lips parted at her upsetting sentence. It was obvious that tears were stinging her eyes, and he quickly pulled her into a tight embrace. He held one hand on the back of her head and the other on her lower back, holding her with all the energy he could. He nuzzled his face into her hair, being intoxicated by her sweet scent.

The pair stayed in the embrace for a while, and they were sure they were receiving many odd glances from passing pedestrians. However, both of them had their eyes tightly shut, unable to notice as neither wanted to open their eyes, worried the tears would begin falling.

Cassie plunged her head deeper into his chest, pushing all of the 'What if...' thoughts about Steve that terrified her to the back of her mind. Bucky had tried to stop him, but he was too adamant on enlisting that there was nothing he could do. However, something sprung into Cassie's mind, causing a small smile to grow on her face.

"Wait," she paused as she brought herself away from Bucky's embrace, "They won't accept him. They can't."

"Cass..." he mumbled quietly into her hair, not understanding her point.

"No, I mean they can't accept him based on his asthma and all of his other medical problems, right?" She explained.

Bucky lifted his gaze from the floor and looked at Cassie with wide eyes.

"You're right." He replied, quickly placing a kiss on her forehead.

Cassie bit her lip in thought, not noticing Bucky's stare. She didn't seem to notice the amount he cared as she stared up at the sky, heaving a sigh.

"What's wrong?" Bucky asked, placing his hands on her forearms.

She shook her head with a slight smile, ignoring his question. She focused her eyes on the bags on Bucky's face, concern growing inside of her. She was trying to piece together a reason for his tiredness, yet she couldn't. Had she made it hard to sleep?

As she pondered in thought, Bucky did the same. Although he was taking in her features, carefully gliding his gaze across her face. His eyes flickered to her lips once or twice, but for no longer than a second each time.

Cassie let herself relax, slumping her shoulders slightly and letting the soft summer feeling return to her. At the sudden sight of her brother trying to get through a crowd of people, she escaped Bucky's grasp and ran towards him.

She embraced him first before pulling away and landing a hard hit on his shoulder.

"Ow! What was that for?!" He exclaimed in pain, rubbing the spot on his arm she had punched.

"Attempting to enlist." She muttered angrily, eyeing him.

Steve's eyes went to over her shoulder where she was sure Bucky stood. He was obviously mad at him for telling Cassie, but she didn't care.

"So what happened?" Bucky asked, intrigued to know whether he was accepted, but he surely already knew the answer.

Steve looked down for replying, "They rejected me."

"And for good reason." Cassie let slip before realising her words.

Steve looked up at her with slight hurt in his eyes, quickly masking it behind another emotion, acceptance, perhaps?

"I'll try again soon." Steve stated, making Cassie glare at him.

"I thought that you couldn't-"

"He's going to lie on his enlistment form." Bucky cut her off, now standing a step in front of her.

"It's not necessarily lying, it's just...changing the truth."

"That's the definition of lying, Rogers." Cassie stated, unexpectedly calm.

"You're a Rogers too-" Steve retorted.

"Don't turn my name back on me."

"Why not?"

"Because I said-"

"You aren't my mother-"

"I know but-"

"No you don't know anything-"

"ENOUGH." Bucky yelled, placing himself between the pair of bickering siblings.

Cassie and Steve shared one last harsh glance to one another before the latter turned and began to head home, leaving Bucky and Cassie stood in the street.

"I might actually kill him." Cassie's sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Maybe it's best if you don't go home right now..."

"I have nowhere else to go Bucky, besides-"

"Come with me."

Cassie furrowed her brows, not knowing what to say.

"As much as I'm grateful-"

"Don't pull your bullshit on me, Cass. You haven't got a say in the matter."

"But-"

"I hate that word."