C H A P T E R (28) - Y E S / O R / N O

"Screw you Steve!" Cassie's raised voice caused Steve to shift in his seat, terrified.

Playing cards with someone as competitive as his sister was chaotic - her losing was even worse.

"You cheated! You definitely-"

"No, Cassie. You just lost."

"Shut up. I don't lose..." she murmured, sitting back in her seat.

The pair had been waiting on seeing Howard so Steve could test out some equipment, and whilst he was busy they had decided to occupy themselves with a game of cards. Bad decision.

"I'm going to check if Howard is any closer to seeing us before you...murder me." Steve said, sitting up and strolling over to a woman with files in her hand.

Cassie, still slumped in her seat, watched as the woman got dangerously close to her brother, causing her to shudder from the cringe. Was her brother so stupidly blind to a woman who already had eyes on him?

It took everything she had to not fall off her seat when the woman grabbed onto his tie and pulled him closer to kiss him. She watched as Steve didn't even pull away, but bit her bottom lip as Peggy walked in. The bad situation that had started with losing a card game had escalated to worse within seconds.

"Captain!" Peggy sounded, causing the pair to separate, "We're ready for you, if you're not otherwise occupied."

Cassie could sense the annoyance radiating from her and reluctantly stood up to follow her brother who trailed after Peggy.

"Agent Carter, wait." Steve yelled from behind.

"Looks like finding the perfect partner wasn't so hard after all."

"Ouch." Cassie sounded, earning a glare from Steve which she replied to with a shrug.

"You always wanted to be a soldier and now you are. Just like all the rest."

"Well what about you and Stark? How do I know you two haven't been...fonduing?"

Peggy finally turned to look at him and scoffed, "You still don't know a bloody thing about women."

After that, she left the room and Steve turned and looked at Cassie with his mouth hanging open.

"Don't look at me," Cassie shrugged, "I agree with her."

**

The pair had arrived in Howard's lab and while Steve was in conversation with him, Cassie watched from her seat next to them.

"Fondue is just cheese and bread, my friend." Howard assured, patting Steve on the back.

Cassie couldn't help the half laugh and half scoff that left her mouth, covering it up by coughing. It didn't help the two men staring at her, and when she knew they saw through her fake cough, shrugged and let her laugh out.

The pair proceeded to talk about weapons and protection, and Cassie listened in only to hear important parts. Other than that, she was more than content with fiddling with the dog tag around her neck.

Steve picked up a circular, silver shield, admiring it in his hands. Just as he did so, Peggy entered the lab and offered Cassie a small smile and nod of her head before noticing Steve stood a few metres away.

"What do you think?" Steve asked, holding the shield in front of him.

Peggy contemplated her thoughts for a moment before turning and picking up a gun from the table next to her, quickly aiming and firing three shots at him. The shield prevented him from getting hurt, and Cassie watched on in bewilderment.