C H A P T E R (22) - W I L D E R N E S S

How Cassie ended up in a plane with Howard Stark, Peggy and Steve, she didn't know.

At first, Steve had tried to get Cassie to back out. He had said it wasn't safe and how he wouldn't let her, but he stood no chance when Peggy helped Cassie win the argument.

"You can still back out of this, Cass." Steve sounded from the other side of the plane.

"We've been through this, Steve. I want to help."

He stayed silent as he went to admire the ground they flew over whereas Cassie looked out the window at the front of the plane where Howard sat.

"We haven't met properly," he began, "I'm Howard."

Maybe he wasn't as self-absorbed as she thought he was.

"Although you probably already know that."

Nevermind.

"I'm Cassie. It's nice to meet you." She replied sweetly. Despite what she thought about him, he was still helping them out. She thought about how she should give his personality a chance. "Thank you for doing this."

"Oh it's no bother." He said before turning his head to the back of the plane, "Agent Carter, if we're not in too much of a hurry I thought we could stop off in Lucerne for a late night fondue."

Cassie raised her eyebrows at Howard, and when he shot her a smile, she shook her head jokingly. She heard her lovesick brother start rambling awkwardly to Peggy, and couldn't help the small laugh that escaped her lips.

"Has he always been like that?"

"Unable to talk to women?" Cassie asked and Howard nodded, "Yup."

Howard let out a small laugh as he tapped his fingers against the window.

"The HYDRA camp is in Krausberg, tucked between these two mountain ranges. It's a factory of some kind. We should be able to drop you right on the doorstep." Howard explained, occasionally glancing at Cassie who stood behind his seat, slightly leaning on it.

"Just get us as close as you can." Steve replied.

"Aren't you guys going to be in trouble when you get back?" Cassie asked, concerned about her new friends who were going to be punished for something she and Steve had wanted to do.

Howard just shrugged and brushed the question off, like he didn't particularly care. Cassie classed his ignorance as a virtue and a flaw at the same time, studying his vacant expression.

"Are you sure this thing works?" Steve asked, referring to the transponder Peggy had given him.

"It's been tested more than you." Howard answered just as their plane began being attacked.

"If you're coming with, Cassie, you gotta jump." Steve shouted over the wind the open door had caused.

She gave a quick smile to Howard and a nod to Peggy as she made her way to the back of the plane, attaching a parachute to herself.

"Get back here! We're taking you all the way in." Peggy shouted to the pair who were about to jump.

"Turn this thing around and get the hell outta here!"

"You can't give me orders!"

"The hell I can't! I'm a Captain!" Steve replied with a smirk.

"Named by six-year-olds." Cassie interrupted, glancing down at the trees they flew over. "And if we land in a tree?"

"Embrace the wilderness."